NORTHEASTER! BATTEN THE HATCHES!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About a half a foot of sleet here, heavy sheet, er, uh, sleet. Looks like a mix of freezing rain and sleet now, but letting up.

About 4"-6" here..started snowing at 10:30ish PM...but,

NWS is still saying that the heaviest stuff will come this afternoon. Total projected amount for the Albany area is 15" to 30".

The stuff is heavy! It is not wet, just heavy with frozen sleet. Blowing like a SOB! This is heart attack time for those occasional shovelers!

We have about 4-5 inches and counting, but the wind is really kicking and is forecast to continue - wind AND snow, well into tonight. I think I will snow-blow the first 4 inches off the drive because of the weight of this stuff - 12 inches or more will be tough for my 8HP.

About 8" of mostly sleet here. Never seen so much sleet in my life. Literally rolling off the roof and creating piles about 1to1-1/2 foot deep all around the house LOL.
Back in the woods, no plow, going nowhere :)

I'm hanging in the cave today!

Drove in to work at 01:00 this morning, just sleeting and about 1" of snow on ground. Been freezing rain since then, now 09:55 and mix of freezing rain, sleet, and some snow! Looks like a long day here. Oh and did I mention the wind.

3" of snow with a nice crusty layer of ice on top. Borrrrring......

Big stuff just started falling here. Getting some photos.

Attachments

• driveway.JPG
    driveway.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 269
  • driveway2.JPG
    driveway2.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 238
  • front yard.JPG
    front yard.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 255
Had a crust of ice and snow this morning, raining like an SOB now, thank god the temps rose above freezing or would be a mess here. Wind is HOWLING!! Right on the bay here and its ugly. Wish we had more white but maybe a little on the back side of the storm, love the roads all wet then freezing solid and covered with 2" for the commute home! 2.8miles to home from work gotta love it!

drbond said:
Started snowing here around 9:30 this morning, just flurries, but calling for 14" max by tomorrow and then more cold and strong winds! Got the Scout gassed up and ready to plow, and gas for generator just in case. Not to mention wood pile filled on porch too! Let her snow.....

Currently 9" new inches in Whitefield, NH. as of this post and -8f below forecasting 24" - 30" by a.m. Started snowing here around 5am.

The larger supermarkets outside of town are closing down, banks, schools, closed..... My local market is OPEN because my wife is the GM and walked to work. :) On her DAY OFF! Happy Valentines Day hubby.......

34 degrees and raining hard
going to be a real mess when the cold returns instant hard freeze

22 degrees at 4pm EST. Wind from the NNW howling mad. Precip is over.....got a heavy dose of heavy, heavy, sleet, tough to move with the ford front loader. Sheared the bolt holding the rear push blade and need to have it welded. Don't know how big that bolt is, probably 1.5 inch or so.

16 F now, steady snow for past 3 hours. Snow/sleet/snow....nice mess to clean for sure!
Wind is howling through the trees, I am debating whether to fire up the snowblower now or wait till later. Decisions, Decisions :)

About 4" of sleet all day, and a snow burst of about 2" just ended. Snowblower didnt even work well. The whole mess of sleet is frozen so hard that the snowblower just wanted to ride up on top of it.

hey i should be a weatherman ..... we don't have jack here in the springfield area what a waste!!!!!!
its like having a hard on and gettin Blue B@@@@ geez i really wanted to fire the honda but oh its gonna be windy and cold My current temp is 74 degrees in the house with help of a harman and furnance
Pacific insert will be here next year with any luck

Well - this stuff was really heavy - Thankfully didn't get too much of the wind, but it turned to sleet, and a lot of it... We closed the shop up early - was like driving on ball bearings on the way home. tough to tell - but at about 7:50PM - maybe 12-14" of whatever you would call it.... now - its turning back to snow, but the wind is picking up.

These are almost embarrasing pics, since there should be a lot more snow on the ground than this.. but still able to keep the driveway clear withe the little 4-wheeler!!

Attachments

• Driveway 2.JPG
    Driveway 2.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 303
ooops - can't figure out how to do the multiple pics... or maybe they are too big... sorry, Craig, if they take up too much space.

Attachments

• Driveway.JPG
    Driveway.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 252
OK - last one.. thought they might have shown up all together

Attachments

• Suzuki.JPG
    Suzuki.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 256
We ended up with about three inches of sleet. Now the cold air comes in and forecast 40 MPH wind gusts. A steady twenty MPH breeze blowing out there right now and has been all day.

Damn cold outside.

Ugh, snow over ice is what we got. Negative fun. Be careful and stay safe, especially if you have to drive in it.

This sucks broke the swing mount to my hydralic piston on my plow. Pushing that heavy crap sure puts a beaten on the equipment
Nothing will move now instant ice

Snow and Ice pancake, about 6-7" when all was said and done. Really really heavy stuff, killed 2 of my neighbors snowblowers. More fun for me with last year's new toy! (Big Orange Ariens 1128)

It tried to kill my Ariens, but the Orange dude was up to the job. All I had to do was tighten a few cables and the stuff started flying. We got a total of about 6-8" of heavy "ice pellet" snow. It is not heavy as in "waterlogged", but more like ice crystals - really interesting stuff.....no snowballs though.

The road is slippery though - had fun driving up the cul-de-sac to the mailbox - purposely slid around a bit.

So that's all ya got guy's
I was out last night till 9pm trying to pump out my driveway and shovel the icebergs that were floating. till it froze solid.
Today I went skating in my back yard with the dogs barely able to stand on the ice.
I have no idea how much snow or rain I got but I have a solid 6" slab of ice in my back yard and my driveway is down to about 3" ice. oh boy..........
I'll post pics if I think about it tommorrow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.