northern chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Just pulled the trigger on a sharpener. Absolutly love it. Great for the money. Arboristsite has a great thread on how to make them a little more accurate and is a great read if anyone has one. Really makes a chain through some chips and clean up bad filing which i do alot and really shows up after 3 or 4 filings

If your using a stone the kool grind is good stuff. I know baileys carrys it and its cheap.

Yes you can grind rakers with it. you can use a raker gauge to file one raker then set depth stop with grinder and go at it. Yea im using stone. I jus cant see getting one of them fancy wheels like you got no more than i do but maybe later. A local echo dealer ship has confronted me about grinding there customers chains at $5 a piece. :) . Is that kool grind stuff like bow string wax? I got plenty of that.

oilstinks said:
Yes you can grind raker with it. you can use a raker gauge to file one raker then set depth stop with grinder and go at it. Yea im using stone. I jus cant see getting one of them fancy wheels like you got no more than i do but maybe later. A local echo dealer ship has confronted me about grinding there customers chains at $5 a piece. :) . Is that kool grind stuff like bow string wax? I got plenty of that.

That might just work let me know how it does.....5 bucks a chain jump on it! I can do a 72 drive link (hand filing the raker) in under 10 min's easily! Most chains I get are 14-16 inch chains and can be done under 5 min's. 1 a min. pretty good cash in my book.

I'm guessing the grinder is the one they advertise for about $129 ? I'm reeeeally looking at that one too.

Beetle-Kill said:
I'm guessing the grinder is the one they advertise for about $129 ? I'm reeeeally looking at that one too.

That is a very good copy of the 511a

Just finished the modifications from arboristsite.com and it really tightened up the base. There is still a minute amount of play in the top hinge but i can live with that for the price. Sharpened several chains so far and it seems to do real well. I am really pleased so far.

oilstinks said:
Just finished the modifications from arboristsite.com and it really tightened up the base. There is still a minute amount of play in the top hinge but i can live with that for the price. Sharpened several chains so far and it seems to do real well. I am really pleased so far.

I like a little play and do not lock the chain in anyways. Just a little trick to use your left hand to hold it 90 degrees. Some like the 511a because it will lock down tight. (not me and I have a 511a)

Havent used kool grind yet. Baileys had it on backorder for a couple of days so maybe the end of this week.

Keep us posted. Went through the AS threads on the mods., looks like simple clean up of the castings, a little trick here and there (the SS washers sound like a good idea). I..uh...just ordered one, should be here in about a week. It is on sale for $10 off right now, so that's my justification.

oilstinks said:
Havent used kool grind yet. Baileys had it on backorder for a couple of days so maybe the end of this week.

Much less dust with it. Very little to screw up either. I coat it pretty thick and the wheel looks black with done of the stone showing through it.

Side note some one mention bow string wax any feed back on that. Seem it should do about the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.