Northern Fire model 1000 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vasten

Nov 11, 2007
Upstate NY
A buddy of mine is having issues with his Northern fire model 1000. It did something last night and went to a continous feed. So the stove kept burning away on high I guess. What he noticed today was the power led light is not lit and the auger continues to feed even when the auger is turned off (but fan is on). So you can turn the draft blower on and the auger doesn't work, (normal). Then you turn both on and they work (normal). Then when you turn the auger off and leave the draft blower working the auger continues to feed, not normal.

I pulled the control panel and there is a black scorch mark on it next to one of the transistors. With out having a tester it is the best guess we have as to what could be the issue.

He said he found a new circut board for it, for $499.00. I have looked myself and haven't found any info other than the company is now owned by lennox.

Does anyone know of an area that we could check for parts, or and suggestions on trouble shooting it? I can't justify him putting 500.00 into a 30 year old pellet stove. he could get a big box store special for a little more and have it be more efficient and a warrenty.

Maybe get an electronics guy to look at it. Might be able to replace some components and get it going cheaper than a new one.

But I have to agree an old stove might not be worth plowing 500 clams at it. Use the cash as down payment on another new stove. Don't forget the $1500 dollar tax break on news stoves from uncle sam. As long as the new stove qualifies you get a deduction on the 2009 taxes in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.