Northern Idaho Energy Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
BeGreen said:
I've finished the review of the Energy Logs. They are a sweet product. If you have to buy your wood in the western states or if you are burning in an urban environment, this is a great product to consider. Thanks to Thomas at NWFuels for providing the test materials.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Northern_Idaho_Energy_Logs/

Wow, BeGreen, do you work for Consumer Reports of Underwriter's Lab? Your review was excellent. Are you working on a real life comparison of pellets? You do good work.

Editorially, this is the answer for the Wood-Burners to the pellet. Bigger, heavier, but the same/similiar efficiency. Hummm, for those that can't cut and split this seems to be a good option??? Yes???

Nope, I work mostly for me (and a lot for my honey:)). Glad you enjoyed the review. I tried to include information that I would be looking for if I was considering buying pressed logs. So far, I haven't figured out how to embed graphics in the wiki, but the charts in the NI Energy Logs literature are impressive. The OMNI lab tests show a 93.5% reduction in particulate emissions as compared to cordwood (they don't specify type) when burned in an uncertified stove. In an EPA phase 2 certified stove they show a 61.5% reduction. That's not trivial. If I still lived in the city, this is definitely the only thing I would burn.

They claim that one unit of Energy Logs is the equivalent to 1.5-2 cords of firewood when measured in BTUs. A unit of logs is approx. 1900 lbs. and costs about $245. Locally, cord wood is selling for $175-200 for softwood. $200-250 for hardwood. That makes premium compressed logs a very good option for a lot of folks. They're easier to work with, much cleaner, no splitting involved, no moisure issues, bug issues, etc., and they provide a predictable burn + heat. The HomeFire Prest-Logs have some advantages in length of burn and overnight coaling and I like the flat side to prevent rolling. But the Energy Logs are a better value and put out their peak btus for a bit longer period of time. Both are fine logs made from waste sawdust turned into a great product.

Next I hope to get my hands on a box of BioBricks. They look like they would work well in my style stove. Or would someone with a similar setup step up and provide a test?

NW Fuels said:
Begreen,

How about the ash. We are now interested in the ash. You can catch up on the thread about cleaning ash.
Thomas

I'd have to burn them over an extended period of time to give that a fair appraisal. 5 logs gave me about 1/3 as much ash as I would get from the soft maple. But I haven't been compacting it down. There are clinkers that form in the ash which may prevent this. The HomeFire logs have an advantage here, they produced the least amount of ash so far, followed by the Energy Logs second.

Status
Not open for further replies.