Northern Lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
Took my dog for her last walk tonight and had to stop for a minute to figure out what the green glow in the sky was;lol;lol The Northern Lights have come out to dance and play - mostly green and stretched across the horizon. Not the best I've seen but always a pleasure to see.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Never experienced anything like that in my life. Always wanted to go for a trail run in view of those Northern Lights. Must be like watching secondary burns dancing in the stove.

First time I saw them I was sure aliens had landed.

I've had three decent viewings of them, one was amazing. Long ribbons floating from the horizon to directly overhead for 45 minutes.

They're truly amazing.

I'm fortunate to live where we see them regularly. Often a green or white hazy glow, but I have seen bright vibrant reds and greens shimmering and waving on a few occasions. I have heard of yellows, blues, and purples too, but haven't seen that.

I saw them once in South Jersey about 10 years ago . It was a pretty good display with green and red. There might have been blue but that could be my memory playing tricks on me, It lasted well over an hour with lights stretching over our heads and even some going south of us. I still look up most of the time when I go outside later in the night.

The auroras are one of nature's fine symphonies. I have only been lucky enough to see them a few times. But each time they took my breath away.

Saw them once or twice here in Maine . . . and once in Alaska . . . much better views in Alaska.

I saw an incredible light show in technicolor in CT. I was driving by Carol King's house when it started. The second time was in Maine on a sailboat sailing from Camden to Rockport. They were so dramatic it was as if they were pushing the boat along. Both times I expected to hear a sound, music, something as they filled the sky.

One of the local TV stations posted this picture this morning. It was taken just a few miles from my house at about 2 AM. Of course, I was sleeping so I didn't see it for myself.

gy7ubavy.jpg

D'oh! I wish there was an alert for events like that to wake me up.

You can sign up for an email alert from the link on the left here. They don't always come in time, and the weather doesn't always cooperate, but there is helpful information, and this page has a good real time display. Red on the display overhead = go outside where it is dark and enjoy the view if it is clear.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

One of the local TV stations posted this picture this morning. It was taken just a few miles from my house at about 2 AM. Of course, I was sleeping so I didn't see it for myself.

I was in bed by then too;lol

About 6 years ago, we had a summer bonfire with the kids - stayed up until at least 2 AM because the lights were incredible. Covered the whole sky, shimmering, and multiple colors. The best Hubby had seen in this area. Still didn't compare to some he had seen when working in the Arctic (Beaufort Sea).

Just one of those things that make you pause and really appreciate the wonders of nature....

Jim Bradenberg has a poster with the northern lights that was taken in the Boundary Canoe area in Northern Minnesota - about an hour from our home. Bought a couple for nephews who live in Southern Ontario - they've never had the opportunity to see the live show!

Saw them for the first and only time on a 20 minute flight from Nantucket to Hyannis. Completely awe inspiring and amazing, at 2000 feet we were in the midst of green and red light streamers. I will never forget it.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.