Northern Michigan Snow Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davmor

Oct 24, 2010
Northern Michigan
Here are a couple of pictures of the snow we have in Northern Michigan.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 418
Seems like Christ was a corporal when it last looked like that around here. Perhaps that is an exaggeration. He may have been a sergeant.

Yup, you can always tell when there is a wind driven snow with warmer temps....one whole side of the trees are covered with snow.
How high were the winds?

Yooper Dave 20 to 30 mph. We didn't get hit as bad as West side of state. We lost power for two days, some places won't be back on until Friday.
Thank God for Generators and Woodstoves :).

Thats really beautiful!

You know just one week down here of that kind of snow and I would have been happy but alas jack frost and frosty the snow man went on vacation :shut:

Pete

Pallet Pete said:
Thats really beautiful!

You know just one week down here of that kind of snow and I would have been happy but alas jack frost and frosty the snow man went on vacation :shut:

Pete
Yes it is, thankful I have a wife that doesn't mind the snow. Of course she was raised in the U.P. so this is nothing. This little bit of snow wouldn't phase UPer's. They laugh at us trolls :).

Davmor
Are you in the UP or upper part of Lower Michigan? Just wondering what the family property in the Rhinelander Wi area looks like.
Tom

jensent said:
Davmor
Are you in the UP or upper part of Lower Michigan? Just wondering what the family property in the Rhinelander Wi area looks like.
Tom
We are in Higgins Lake,NorthernLower.

Dave, how much did you get? I've heard of up to 18". Your pictures remind me of when we lived in the north country. Ya, we still miss it. I think the most snow we had was around 225" one winter. Not so where we live now.

Wow...pretty. I love a good snow that sticks to the branches like that.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, how much did you get? I've heard of up to 18". Your pictures remind me of when we lived in the north country. Ya, we still miss it. I think the most snow we had was around 225" one winter. Not so where we live now.
Dennis, We got about 12" out of the storm Friday night. We got well over 24" in the last week so it has been piling up. So the old ATV has been getting a good workout. Some places over by Traverse city got over 18" of snow, and will be without power until Friday. There are lots of tree down so it will be a scroungers field day in the spring.

Wow, am I ever jealous. Gorgeous house, by the way!

We get our forecast out of Gaylord or Traverse City. The doom and gloom turns out to be a lot less by the time it gets here.
Forecast said 8-14", but we got 6. Maybe. Happens almost every time.
We were out of power for about 60 hours from early Sat. morning until mid-Monday afternoon.
Temps will be 50 and above for at least the next 10 days, so all this should be gone soon. Here come da mud, here come da mud.........

South east of Traverse City we got around 18" of wet heavy cement. We lost power Sat. about 11:00 am it came back on Mon. around 1:30 pm. We lost alot of snow last night I can see parts of roofs again. Trees are down everywhere. I have heard it may be Mon. before some get power back. We got a batch of Thunder Snow Fri. night. I have not seen that since the mid 90's wierd weather this year for sure.

PapaDave said:
We get our forecast out of Gaylord or Traverse City. The doom and gloom turns out to be a lot less by the time it gets here.
We were out of power for about 60 hours from early Sat. morning until mid-Monday afternoon.
Temps will be 50 and above for at least the next 10 days, so all this should be gone soon. Here come da mud, here come da mud.........
The 50 degree temps will make things melt fast. Can't even get out on the lake because there is so much snow and slush on top of the ice it makes it diffucult to walk or ride a snowmobile.

I was in the east Jordan area Fri- Sun and from fri to sat am we got 18" with well over 2' in the woods.

Rob

PapaDave said:

Dave, when I used to drive from Gaylord to Alpena on a regular basis, there were 3 lines I had pegged with each one getting less and less snow as we went east. That last hill before Atlanta was many times where the snow stopped. It just happens. Then going west, it is another story.

ChipTam said:
Lovely photographs! Especially nice to view from afar. It was 68 degrees the day before yesterday in Ann Arbor. I was out raking the lawn.

ChipTam
It was 50 Wednesday, today we are under Lake Effect Snow advisory. Good ole Michigan Weather :).

Status
Not open for further replies.