Northern Tool chain grinder- first impressions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
It works pretty good.
Edit- Sorry, the "Change Ribbon" icon came up on the screen last night, so I had to stop typeing.

Ok, where was I. So when it showed up this week, had a few broken pieces. Box was pretty beat, but a call to NT has new ones on the way. The mount I made clamps to a pipe column, so I can adjust the height and swing it out of the way when not in use. I did clean up the base castings per the AS thread, it did smooth it out quite a bit. So assembled and ready to go. But I don't want to run into a problem like "wannabegreener" did a few threads ago, so I tested it.
I took a dull .325 chain and slapped it on the 346. Cut a few 10" cookies, then sharpened the chain. Same log and the chain cut really well. Nice chips. Alrighty then, let's get to work. Did all the 3/8's and .325 chains I had, 11 total. Took a while, some of the chains had really uneven cutter lengths and bad angles. I slapped on the 1/4" wheel for the rakers, got those done and I'm pretty much set. Today is 1/4" picco chain day, but I only have a few of those.
Overall, I like this thing. Can't complain about the price, motor is quiet, easy set up, and easy to adjust. I don't know about the durability of the plastic lock/ adjusting nuts, so I guess time will tell. Best thing to me, the local Stihl dealer sharpens chains for $10 a pop. The grinder has almost paid for itself.

Sounds great, Zap. I'm been considering one, but if I keep going with the "gotta haves" the ROI break-even-point of burning wood will stretch on out to see my 4 year old granddaughter getting her driver's license. But...if it makes cutting better. ;)

I've been doing fair with hand-sharpening but it seems I just can't get the chips to look as good as they do with a new chain....and it's often reported that pre-sharpening a new chain can actually enhance it's cutting abilities so I'm sure my hand-sharpening just isn't where it should/could be...but I'll keep trying. In the mean time, keep us posted on how it goes with the NT...who knows?...they might lower the driver's license age. :)

Ed

Intheswamp said:
Sounds great, Zap. I'm been considering one, but if I keep going with the "gotta haves" the ROI break-even-point of burning wood will stretch on out to see my 4 year old granddaughter getting her driver's license. But...if it makes cutting better. ;)

I've been doing fair with hand-sharpening but it seems I just can't get the chips to look as good as they do with a new chain....and it's often reported that pre-sharpening a new chain can actually enhance it's cutting abilities so I'm sure my hand-sharpening just isn't where it should/could be...but I'll keep trying. In the mean time, keep us posted on how it goes with the NT...who knows?...they might lower the driver's license age. :)

Ed

PS....did you get the ribbon changed?

Yeah, the "Change Ribbon" is a joke between my wife and me. Everytime the phone rings, it screws up our wireless connection. Pisses her off to no end.
When you can swing it, the grinder does make things nice. I've done 14 chains so far, and cost to the shop was $138. Hobby sharpening for other people @ $5.00 a chain, that's just gravy at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.