Northern Tool chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicSWC

Nov 4, 2011
York, Pa.
Got one of these for Christmas. Having never used anything but a file (and was pretty poor with that) or sending it out, I was interested in trying it. So far I am impressed. The couple chains I sharpened are about on par with what I'd get back from a shop. The only thing I didn't like was the directions. Pretty useless IMO. They could save some paper and not include them and I don't think you'd be worse off. Thank goodness for videos posted on the net.

Give it a little time. As you learn to finesse that grinder, you should be able to put out chains that will rival the pros.

A friend of mine sharpens my chains with a similiar type of charpener. He lightly grounds the chain trying not to get it hot. He keeps the grinder close to the "tooth" after grinding it to allow the air from the wheel to cool the tooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.