NorthStar Log Splitter Paint Match??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

embers aplenty

Burning Hunk
Mar 17, 2011
East Tennessee
Hello, I was wandering if anyone had ever repainted their Northern Tool "NorthStar" log splitter and did ok matching the paint? I picked up a used 37 ton rig that is still in good working shape but has set outside for some of it's life and needs spruced up a bit with some new paint.

I thought I would get it out behind the house pretty soon and give it a good cleaning up and maybe take the beam loose from the frame. Sand it down, tape it out and shoot some new paint on it. The black parts, I don't mind if I get a bit of a different shade but I would like to try to match the maroonish red color the best I can. The guy at Northern Tool that I ordered a few parts from over the phone today said they didn't have any info at all on the original paint.

If you've ever been into this or know of a good paint match, please let me know what you ended up using. I'd kind of like to use some Rustoleum if I can. The log stripper was gone off of it when I bought it so I ordered one of those. So that should help me with a paint match.

For what it's worth, Northern does have a new retrofit engine guard that keeps logs from hitting your engine now. The cost is $50. A lot of the reviews I've read has complaints of dented gas tanks on the GX270 Honda engines. So hopefully it will help.

I'll try to post some pics when I get it freshened up and get the guard put on. I don't have my camera working again just yet but plan to. Thanks A Bunch! Better get ready to start mowing tomorrow. AARRRRGGGG :coolgrin:

Sand blast the parts you want to paint then have it powder coated....

Just pick a color that is close and paint it all because more then likely it as faded enough to where the original color may not match anyway.

Gary

Thanks for the input guys. I've noticed a lot of the Northstar clones are painted all black accept for the cylinder. I'll make a decision after I get the log stripper.

Powdercoat would be nice. I've always wanted to powder coat one of our taffy machines at work instead of having to paint it every few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.