Northstar or Xtrordinaire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderBender

Feb 22, 2011
Upstate SC
I have 2500 sqft down and 700 up in a bonus area. I am not too concerned about heating upstairs. I am looking at the Northstar and the two Xtrordinaires. I am thinking that maybe the Northstar and the FPX 36 will do the job and if so, I'd love some pros and cons on each of these.

I am looking to augment the heat from a heat pump...It does not necessarily have to heat the entire lower level. I have already been quoted 6400 installed on the FPX 44 and 5800 on the FPX 36. I am waiting on a quote on the Northstar.

Thanks!

FenderBender said:
I have 2500 sqft down and 700 up in a bonus area. I am not too concerned about heating upstairs. I am looking at the Northstar and the two Xtrordinaires. I am thinking that maybe the Northstar and the FPX 36 will do the job and if so, I'd love some pros and cons on each of these.

I am looking to augment the heat from a heat pump...It does not necessarily have to heat the entire lower level. I have already been quoted 6400 installed on the FPX 44 and 5800 on the FPX 36. I am waiting on a quote on the Northstar.

Thanks!

I, ironically, am considering the same units as you are- I am looking for a replacement for an old po-s ZC fireplace & can't decide on the FPX 36 or the HNG North Star! To complicate it, I learned today that FPX is coming out with a new version of the 36 that doesn't require the blower or outside air cooling vents & can be hooked up to heat ducts.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72368/

that FPX 44 looks awesome. I bet it does a great job. I would think the layout of the 2500 sq ft would be the key.

I bet they can work on that price a bit too.... jmo

OK, I just got what I think is an incredible quote on the Northstar. It is quite a bit less than the FPX 36. My only concern is whether I am going too small.n My fireplace is located on an interior wall in the center of the house. At the price I was quoted, I am thinking of adding the duct work mentioned. byway any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the FPX 44 and love it. This is my 3rd season with it. The POS system really does work.

Top Pro's: kicks out a ton of heat, I have approx 2400 sq, oil furnace is set to about 55 and never comes on for heating (runs for hot water) House is comfortable - we all are in shorts all winter. I love the look of the FPX - huge viewing area. Large firebox.

Con's: I struggle to get effective heat out of over night burns. I do have coals in the morning so I can start fire w/o match but it isnt pumping out heat. This is also a hungry unit - burns a lot of wood. Another mild con is the fan takes a while to kick on - others have put foil around censor to improve this - I have not tried it.

I have no regrets

I pulled the trigger on the Northstar. I had to make a decision on framing by tomorrow. The price difference was 1400 between it and the FPX 36 and I could not find enough info on the FPX to justify the additional cost. Thanks everyone for your comments and I am looking forward to my new high efficiency fireplace!

FenderBender said:
I pulled the trigger on the Northstar. I had to make a decision on framing by tomorrow. The price difference was 1400 between it and the FPX 36 and I could not find enough info on the FPX to justify the additional cost. Thanks everyone for your comments and I am looking forward to my new high efficiency fireplace!

I bet you are going to love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.