NorthStar temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasonsDad

Nov 12, 2014
SouthWestern PA
Long time lurking, first time posting. I recently purchased a heat and glo North Star zc fireplace and installed it in my living room. It came with the air cooled chimney pipe that requires 2" clearance (not sure I am a fan of this chimney pipe). The chimney runs through my ceiling, through my sons closet and exits through the attic. It is located in the center of my home. The chimney is boxed in where it goes through the closet with 2" clearance to the studs. Installation was performed by myself and done exactly to the instructions with no shortcuts ( I built my home by myself over a 3 year period so I have some knowledge). Finally to the question.... I have been burning the last few days and was wondering about temperatures. The center of cast door frame on my stove seems to be the hottest location. It averages 500-550deg. Right above the doors i average 350-380 deg, but it is insulated behind it. I can see the pipe that my chimney attaches to through the blower crate/opening on the top of my fireplace and it averages 330-390deg. Am I getting this stove to hot? It is so different than a freestanding stove since I only have a front to get temps from and most of it is well insulated. I would not be as concerned, but I mentioned the chimney pipe goes through my sons closet and I want to make sure I am good. I need to be able to sleep at night

Bump . . .

This is the busy season for wood burners . . . a lot of times questions get lost in all the traffic. Perhaps someone will see this and provide an answer.

Long time lurking, first time posting. I recently purchased a heat and glo North Star zc fireplace and installed it in my living room. It came with the air cooled chimney pipe that requires 2" clearance (not sure I am a fan of this chimney pipe). The chimney runs through my ceiling, through my sons closet and exits through the attic. It is located in the center of my home. The chimney is boxed in where it goes through the closet with 2" clearance to the studs. Installation was performed by myself and done exactly to the instructions with no shortcuts ( I built my home by myself over a 3 year period so I have some knowledge). Finally to the question.... I have been burning the last few days and was wondering about temperatures. The center of cast door frame on my stove seems to be the hottest location. It averages 500-550deg. Right above the doors i average 350-380 deg, but it is insulated behind it. I can see the pipe that my chimney attaches to through the blower crate/opening on the top of my fireplace and it averages 330-390deg. Am I getting this stove to hot? It is so different than a freestanding stove since I only have a front to get temps from and most of it is well insulated. I would not be as concerned, but I mentioned the chimney pipe goes through my sons closet and I want to make sure I am good. I need to be able to sleep at night

Nope. I regularly run my north star since 2008 in the 500 range on that pipe, I stuck a simple rutland gauge on that pipe behind the grate.

Status
Not open for further replies.