Northwest Jersey, Looking for Wood... Please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Hey all,

New to burning, but definitely not new to hardwork, cutting, hauling, and splitting. Anyone around me have any wood for hauling? Willing to cut and haul, will split off site. I live in Andover, NJ 07821. Just bought my first house and money is tight. I think I have enough (3 cords) for this winter, looking to start to staging next winter. I can see how this becomes an obcession...

Worth a shot, but I won't get any hits on this. Apparently, no one in NJ burns wood for heat?

Thanks,
Kevin

You're asking a bunch of duck hunters where the birds are. Not likely many will share their fav places.
We have a lot of scroungers here - keep your eye on Craigs List for give aways, but read some threads here first - some ads are hazardous to your health.
Most of us buy either cut/split/seasoned (the latter term is open to MUCH debate here) or they buy or cut 8' or tree length and process it themselves. I fit in this last category.
In my opinion, either scrounge or buy some wood, and cut, split and stack it before Santa comes, so you'll have some good wood for next fall. Work up to 2 years or more ahead over the next couple of years, and you'll start preaching back to the choir here.
Oh - try to post a few pictures once in a while - your stove, your ranks of wood, your squeaky-clean chimney - whatever. We love pics. If you don't have pics, it didn't happen!
Happy burning.

Your not far from me. Im in Bedminster on 206. There should be some wood around this weekend after the noreaster is done.

Ya, I guess this isnt the best place to find firewood... I'll be planning 2 years out in no time. Ill start posting pictures as I start getting settled in. The new house needs a lot more work than me running around taking pictures of the woodstove or my stack... Definitely want to det serioust with this though.

gzecc said:
Your not far from me. Im in Bedminster on 206. There should be some wood around this weekend after the noreaster is done.

Let me know if you find anything good... I got no problem making the trip for a truck load. Ill help cut, take a bit... Whatever you want. Looking for more people in my area that are serious about it.

My suggestion is to simply keep your eyes peeled as you drive around in your daily activities. When I burned pellets, I never looked into the woods for freshly downed trees. Now I can spot them like a hawk, and simply hit "mark" on my GPS for gathering at a later date. Take a spin down some lonley country back roads....you'll probably see trees that would make excellent firewood that are not far from the road.

k3 good plan to stay ahead...good luck.

Not sure where exactly in Andover you are, but if you start looking for it you will notice a lot of people burn around here. At least thats what i eventually saw in my neighborhood (Green Twp, address is andover though). Consequently, free wood in any form is hard to come by. I've gotten some free from neighbors but it usually isnt great quality or quantity. Last spring I paid for a couple trees a family had dropped in their yard, still had to cut split and haul a ton. Came out to a decent per cord cost and got plenty of exercise! Good luck. But not too much cause I dont need the competition!

I check craigslist under free every night, a while back I placed an add, trees removed free, I still haven't caught up with all the wood that generated. Look for standing dead trees in peoples yards, offer to remove tham for free. Talk to local tree services, offer to let them dump wood in your yard for free. When you see someone doing tree work, ask them where the wood is going. Talk to all of your abutters, I got two cords of oak this spring without leaving my backyard, except to walk into their yards and fell the trees into my yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.