Norway Maple & btu scale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I am trying to find Norway Maple on some of the btu scales with no luck. Any idea where does that puppy fit?
Thanks

Between Elm and ash, near black walnut.

So it is higher in btu from silver maple!

I would say no. Silver maple is premium wood. Norway in mid level hardwood.

gzecc said:
silver is a softwood not hardwood silver comes in at 20mbtu a cord i think norway is 24 norway is a hardwood

My mistake, I was thinking sugar maple. Sorry!

gzecc said:

no problem i have about 10 cords of silver Iam sick of it lol

Only maple I have ever burned is norway. I have some cut sugar for this season but haven't used it yet.

smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

Yep, after seasoning that silver maple sometimes feels like balsa, sugar maple like rock.

3fordasho said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

Yep, after seasoning that silver maple sometimes feels like balsa, sugar maple like rock.

if it had any weak spots in it termites or carpenter ants! the solid parts stay good soild wood.

smokinjay said:
3fordasho said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:

if it had any weak spots in it termites or carpenter ants! the solid parts stay good soild wood.

And if it's on the ground it's half rotted. Silver that is. Of course I'd rather have it than box elder or cottonwood.
Box elder is one poor excuse for a tree, around here they can barely support their own weight, full of ants and the core always rotted out. Makes good chimneys for the firepit.

I swear I saw a btu chart that had Norway maple on it....It was in this forum for sure, I have done several searches & cane up with nada

smokinjay said:
gzecc said:
silver is a softwood not hardwood silver comes in at 20mbtu a cord i think norway is 24 norway is a hardwood

technically speaking, it is a hardwood. anything with leaves is a hardwood, anything with needles/cones is a softwood.

Cowboy andy---- so In your statement " anything with leaves is a hardwood....." you then classify willow and poplar ect as hard woods? Not in my book.

blades said:
Cowboy andy---- so In your statement " anything with leaves is a hardwood....." you then classify willow and poplar ect as hard woods? Not in my book.

yes, technically they are hardwoods. but there are some "hardwoods" that are less dense than alot of softwoods.

I have never burnt Douglas Fir but what I read here it is decent firewood, I have a feeling it is much better firewood than Manitoba Maple (Box Elder)

Blades, I attached the definition of hardwoods.
hardwood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noun
1. the wood of broad-leaved dicotyledonous trees (as distinguished from the wood of conifers)
(hypernym) wood

blades said:

I love it when wood sellers advertise "mixed hardwoods".... could be a mix of cottonwood, box elder, willow, etc. technically all hardwoods, but crappy firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.