norway mapple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
i have 3.5 courds of norway mapple any good as firewood

Good stuff; just won't hold fire as long as hard maple or oak. It will dry a whole lot faster for sure. Basically it lights quick and burns hot and rather quickly. Still, I've heated entire winters with it and got along just fine.

Norway has to be one of the most miss identified woods to hear the experience some have with it. It is not anything like soft or silver maple. In my experience I place it in between ash and sugar maple, very hard and heavy even when dry. Its used for flooring, lasts overnight but puts out less btu than sugar. Overall a very good firewood that I have some in my stacks most years.

scotvl said:
Norway has to be one of the most miss identified woods to hear the experience some have with it. It is not anything like soft or silver maple. In my experience I place it in between ash and sugar maple, very hard and heavy even when dry. Its used for flooring, lasts overnight but puts out less btu than sugar. Overall a very good firewood that I have some in my stacks most years.
+100000000 it is a hard maple for crying out loud!

I agree it is a good firewood. It isn't as long burning as oak, but it seems about like Ash to me. it also looks like White Ash. I bet a lot of people confuse the two.

I've found that it can take its sweet time drying, and you really need a MM to track the progress there. (Not all of us have precision scales handy.)
Burns kinda like sugar maple. Tight, relatively smooth bark sheds little debris, as opposed to black cherry for instance.
Hope you enjoy it.

Yea I agree as well that it is nothing like Silver or "soft" maple. A lot of people on here think its like Silver Maple. I have both seasoned for over a year at my place and the Norway is considerably heavier than the Silver Maple. I feel it burns a lot like Ash as far as BTUs go.

I agree on the longer seasoning times. Also every one of them that I have seen or dealt with has tons of crotches and id usually kinda twisted. Not the best wood for a hand splitter, but it burns ok. The power comoany cut one on my side yard last year. i was happy to see it go, but only took a few rounds from it. I didn't want to deal with with splitting all the twists and crotches. The hauled it off a few days later.
Look at the twisted grain in the big trunk there.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/firewood/0720102001.jpg

hey MapleMan can you post some pics of your "Norway" maple, want to make sure you have the same wood we are talking about. 3.5 courds is alot to get from one scrounge of Norway because they generally don't get that big around here.

Love the stuff. My first full season with the stove I burned NM.

Flatbedford said:
I agree on the longer seasoning times. Also every one of them that I have seen or dealt with has tons of crotches and id usually kinda twisted. Not the best wood for a hand splitter, but it burns ok. The power comoany cut one on my side yard last year. i was happy to see it go, but only took a few rounds from it. I didn't want to deal with with splitting all the twists and crotches. The hauled it off a few days later.
Look at the twisted grain in the big trunk there.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/firewood/0720102001.jpg

Not the best pic but from what I can tell it doesnt look like Norway Maple to me. Have a better pic?

Good eye danny and I agree the bark looks like soft maple, flatbed I remember you haveing a picture of some wood in your truck that lookid more like Norway Maple.

Looks like Silver to me too.

Maybe this? The tree guy that gave me this said it was Norway Maple too. It was also a real PIA to split.
DSC05386.jpg

that looks alot more like norway than the tree you had taken down. I find the straight sections pop right open but you need hydro for the uglies.

scotvl said:
that looks alot more like norway than the tree you had taken down. I find the straiht sectioos pop right open but you need hydro for the uglies.
Yep +1

It was not much fun splitting that truck load. It was cut in April so it was full of water and very heavy. Probably the heaviest load I ever had on the old truck. It was making all kinds of clunking and creaking noises on the way home. The break pedal seemed to only suggest that the wheels consider stop rolling some time in the near future. I drove slowly and planned ahead.

Norway is always heavy even when dry, I like the way some of the splits have a ripple to the grain after you pop them open.

scotvl said:
hey MapleMan can you post some pics of your "Norway" maple, want to make sure you have the same wood we are talking about. 3.5 courds is alot to get from one scrounge of Norway because they generally don't get that big around here.

my dumb camra is not letting me post pix

Hey Flatbed, the tree in your yard was not Norway Maple, the one in the truck was Norway Maple. The one in the yard looks like Red Maple.

Around here there are some huge Norway Maples 3 ft+ at the base, but I doubt any of them is 3.5 cords by itself.

sure, blame the camra.

light a fire under it.

:)

Whatever it was in the yard, I am sure glad it is gone! It would have been in the house with the power lines after the October snow storm this year. The stump is still sending up sprouts!

Good stuff,did some pruning of neighbor's trees in mid June.Ended up with about 1 p/u load.Burned a few sticks recently,since it was stacked on south side of property with full sun several hours daily its almost good to go now.Will let it set until next season at least because I'm 4 yrs ahead with oak & hickory.

Attachments

• hardmaple61511 (2).jpg
    hardmaple61511 (2).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 157
  • norwaymaple & silver maple 61711.jpg
    norwaymaple & silver maple 61711.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.