Norway Spruce...What do you Know????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Will soon be finished with a log load that was 1/2 Poplar and 1/2 Norway Spruce. I heard Norway
Spruce it tough to split. Anyone have experience with it? I heard it's almost as good as some of the softer hard wood if that makes sense. What about seasoning time? Any help would be appreciated...:)

Removed my blue spruce a couple years ago. Branch wood from the bottom to top, so yeah real tough to split by hand. I tried to buck between the branch nodes but it didn't make much difference and ended up noodling most of it. When done I was standing almost knee-deep in excelsior. It might have made good material for gerbil or hamster cages.
The wood dried fast, and it burns fast. Good to mix in for kindling. That said if it wasn't in my back yard I wouldn't go looking for it.
I saved all the resinous branches - great stuff for starting fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.