Nostalgia - the webmasters humble beginnings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Here is an article done by our local paper in 1979 about our original stove and fireplace shop.

Attachments

• crarticlesm.jpg
    crarticlesm.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 310
Cute kid shot Craig. What stoves were you selling back then?

Wow! What year did you move out of New Jersey? A hundred dollars a cord is cheap, but stove and installation prices don't seem that cheap considering we're talking about 1979 and Lowes has low end stoves for a few hundred just last week.

I love the ad for the Perms below :)

We were selling Upland, Old Mill, Benefire, Phoneix Inserts and maybe a few others - Old Mill and Upland were our favs. That cookstove is a Findlay Oval, which is still made today. My children are 32 and 30. The younger one on the right - if you look close you can see her personality....she is the lawyer!

I left NJ only 2 1/2 years ago.

Stoves started at about 299 then, and have gone up since. The recent low cost stoves are fairly new, probably due to oversupply and big boxes. But other than those, it is hard to get even the lowest cost stove for less than a grand. An Upland cast iron double door stove might have been as much as $600 at the time - the same stove would be only about double that today, so yes - the inflation is not that bad considering this was 1979.

If I remember right our 1980 Resolute was about $400+. It was the biggest home purchase we had ever made at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.