Not a bad haul from the local mill!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

24vcummns98

Oct 24, 2015
Northern VA
The mill the road from us is letting us take scraps/slab wood. It's a hardwood mill so shouks be a solid source this year .

Attachments

• Not a bad haul from the local mill!
    IMG_20181031_090809.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: Lakeside
They sell bundles here for $50, if it was free I'd grab some but too much work in addition to paying.

I am curious to know how fast it will dry. I haven't tested it yet but I know it's pretty wet .

A mill near me soaks the logs in a lake before milling.

I found that milled wood dried considerably quicker than split wood.

I gave It some thought and here's what i came up with: milled wood has cut sides on all 6 sides. Split wood is split along the grain, rather than across it. The grain is a series of tubes in essence. I liken it to how bad you would bleed if you get a lengthwise cut on your arm vs one across of similar size.

Make sense?

Yes, and you need to stack it so it gets air.

Reactions: blacktail