Not a Chicken hawk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Was circling low over neighbors house who has chickens & turkeys.
By the time I got the camera it was catching thermals & climbing.
100_4628.jpg

Looks like a bald eagle to me. We have a couple nesting pairs locally.

Yep, Bald Eagle.
We have a few nest close & they soar for hours during mating season. Original members of the "mile high club" ;)
I've had them in the tall spruce trees, sitting & watching every so often.
The Ravens won't let them alone if they see them, harass them pretty bad.

bogydave said:
100_4628.jpg

Nice picture but I think thats really Quads checking out your wood pile. :)

zap

Love to see those eagles! In Newfoundland, when the caplin (small bait fish) are in, you can sometimes see 30-40 eagles in the trees above certain beaches. They've eaten so many caplin they can hardly fly!
ChipTam

zapny said:
bogydave said:

zap
I confess! It was me. I haven't cut any wood for a few days now (been tilling gardens etc.) and I had to get my fix somehow so I flew over Dave's place.

Speaking of eagles, we have a few that have been hanging around here now. One in particular is quite often perching on the hay bales. Someday I'm going to get his picture setting there on the hay.

quads said:
zapny said:
bogydave said:

zap
I confess! It was me. I haven't cut any wood for a few days now (been tilling gardens etc.) and I had to get my fix somehow so I flew over Dave's place.

Speaking of eagles, we have a few that have been hanging around here now. One in particular is quite often perching on the hay bales. Someday I'm going to get his picture setting there on the hay.

Quads your maul must have the shakes from not being used, how about a picture of the garden.

Zap

zapny said:
quads said:
zapny said:
bogydave said:

zap

Quads your maul must have the shakes from not being used, how about a picture of the garden.

Zap
I think the maul is ok, but I'm starting to! That's ok though, because this afternoon with record high temps (82° at this moment) they are expecting near critical forest fire danger.

The gardens aren't very picturesque. I just tilled all the old leaves, stalks, vines, ashes, and creosote under. It will be almost a couple months yet before I dare to plant much in them and I will till them again beforehand. The winter onions are doing good though and I will be eating some in a a week or so.

quads said:
zapny said:
bogydave said:

zap

So that was a maul it had in it's feet eh?
Quads, same here, GH soil boxes mixed, & planted tomatoes. Many seeds started. New compost pile with fresh HM started,
I don't till anymore, I went to raised beds/no till, fill the beds with compost. Earth worms multiply in the beds & lees weeds.
Old compost piles & garden still froze here but being above ground, will thaw faster, but starting to thaw :)
Pic from roof, had to replace some shingles:

Attachments

• 100_4621.jpg
    100_4621.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 265
There are several pair of them nesting in the Great Bay estuary of NH and Maine. They're very impressives birds; you can't really get a handle on their size until you see one "up close and personal". They're BIG and one look at their beaks and talons leaves little doubt about why they're on this planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.