Not a Normal Creosote Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I haven't seen this addressed yet.

I pack my stove (30NC) full before bedtime. Once the secondaries are lit (350-400 deg stove top) I close the air down to just above nil. Stove top temp peaks around 600-700 and it cruises from there.

When I wake up in the morning I have stove top temps 100-200, and a firebox full of white ash and some charcoal.

I had assumed that the secondaries are consuming all the creosote forming crud, and that once they go out, there is just charcoal keeping the firebox warm. Am I correct?

That's the hope. Your secondaries are burning up the extra volitiles, which keeps them from cooling in the chimney and condensing, but once those are all burned up.. you are in the coaling stage, and all is good.

If you get the smoke burn going before bed you should be fine not so easy with wet wood though.

IF you want to be sure of this, simply follow the same procedure some morning when you will be around during the day, then don't touch the stove (hard to do) and check the chimney output throughout the burn - if it stays clean (nothing but steam) then you know you are all set. Always hard to know for sure what is happening when you sleep, but you can learn a lot watching during the day a couple times and gain some confidence.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
IF you want to be sure of this, simply follow the same procedure some morning when you will be around during the day, then don't touch the stove (hard to do) and check the chimney output throughout the burn - if it stays clean (nothing but steam) then you know you are all set. Always hard to know for sure what is happening when you sleep, but you can learn a lot watching during the day a couple times and gain some confidence.

Most definitely. Weekends are a new wood burner's friend for sure.

Hi, Yes you are correct, your operation temp range is correct. I got a bit lazy and did not clean the flue, until last Sunday, since a year ago ( 24/7 burn for about 6mo.) I got about 1/2 of the new downsized coffee cans of soot from my 16 ft or so flue system connected to the NC-30

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help as I tackle the learning curve.

I am fortunate enough to work from home and although I have to travel a lot I do get plenty of days in the home office. That said, I am burning a 30nc for the first year and can assure you that with quality wood and steady secondary combustion you are not creating smoke. After the wood has completely off gassed and you are down to coals there is nothing evident coming out the chimney and I have taken the opportunity to view it a lot!!

I am of the understanding from learning here and physical solid fuel properties(wood) that the bad stuff is eccentially gone after the off gassing stage with seasoned(20% or less) wood. So although as my burns tail off and the stove temp runs down below 300, even getting a little darkening of the glass, I am not adding much funk to the exhaust pipe.

I will report more when I do a mid season clean out :)

For the record: On trips that take me away from home for two or more days I have someone stay here with my dog and that is what propane is for. I tell her to turn the heat as high as she wants. Still only went through a tiny bit of propane last year and my peace of mind has a high price tag - no need to have a non-stove person running my appliance.

10-4 Bob. Let us know what your stack looks like after the first cleaning. I'm still undecided about when I should clean mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.