Not a single frost yet....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baserooom,
The wife and her fam are from your fine city and she has some good lake effect blizzard stories
that rival mine and the residents of Buffalo. You guys get it pretty hard in "upstate" (they call it Western)
New York. Nana posted a snow pic on FB two days ago!

Boom first heavy frost! And the seasons look to have switched.

Had ours yesterday. 50% leaves gone, rest are turned. 60's all week though. Love it.

Had just a bit of frost on the garage roof a couple days ago since then back to daytime 60's and high 40's and 50's overnight. Tree's decided they were tired of waiting and decided to start dropping leaves anyway. Looked like we would have a hard frost in the next day or two but they're revising temps up.

Heavy frost this morning, but I did yard work in shorts and a T today.

November is confused.

24/7, shutdown.
24/7, shutdown. It's swinging wildly here as of late.
The change is on. (nearly over quite quickly) 70-80% dropped.

We got our letter from Asplundh ! ! !
They're gonna let me scrounge myself LOL. Dropping 7 ash and a whatever. Ye-hah!
Going ahead 4 seasons. This is crazy with a lil' work. Had the stove 1/2 season and am 2 years
ahead now, permissioned scrounge for another year from neighbor, and now this right next to the shanty!
Must be a God thAng. Prayed for a financial breakthrough, and got a financial break at the least.
Gonna send up some burnt offerings. LOL

Reactions: baseroom
I guess I'm gonna have to cave, and light off some soft Maple tonight (did one fire so far, which I didn't really need.) A few nights in the low 30s coming, and it's only 66 in da house now. :oops:

First widespread really hard frost here this morning. Have yet to fire up the stove, but the house is getting chilly, so that will happen this weekend.

revy.jpg

This was October 28, over 4 feet of snow at 6800' it is now almost gone! I mowed my lawn yesterday, ma nature is confused. Maybe she has been drinkin?

It's official, winter is coming. Long-range forecast (just released) calling for colder than normal winter in the north central and northeastern US. For us in the mid-Atlantic, they're calling for a cold Dec & Jan, a warm Feb, and a cold Mar. At least snowfall is expected to be near normal here. One of the factors that went into the forecast is the October snowpack in Siberia, which apparently is abnormally big this year.

The Siberian snow cover chills the air even more before dropping the jet over the pole and down Canada?
We get a good portion of our winter airflow from Alberta here in the midwest.

The Siberian snow cover chills the air even more before dropping the jet over the pole and down Canada?
We get a good portion of our winter airflow from Alberta here in the midwest.
The exact mechanism wasn't explained but supposedly the combination of Siberian snow cover and, strangely enough, a lack of arctic sea ice is expected to push the jet stream farther south from the Great Plains eastward. I don't think it chills the air more than usual, it just shifts the weather patterns and allows the really cold air to move south.

We had a first frost yesterday. A pretty good one but not what I call a hard frost.

Yeah, you gotta wonder if the globe will warm or if we are going into a mini ice age?? Flip a coin, I say, it's too complex for them to figure out.
Yep, kinda late this year. Still a lot of green here. White Ash will be done soon. Maples are dropping pretty fast now. Hickories are coming down, too. Bringing up the rear will be the Oaks. We are usually about done with leaves a little after Thanksgiving but I bet it's later this year.
This is crazy--my oaks still have a fair number of leaves on them. Even if they all dropped tonight that would still be about one week later than last year, two weeks later than what was typical around here in previous years, and a full four weeks later than what I remember from 25+ years ago. We had a pretty dry fall but I don't know if that would keep the leaves on the trees.

This is crazy--my oaks still have a fair number of leaves on them. Even if they all dropped tonight that would still be about one week later than last year, two weeks later than what was typical around here in previous years, and a full four weeks later than what I remember from 25+ years ago. We had a pretty dry fall but I don't know if that would keep the leaves on the trees.
Not sure how moisture would affect leaf drop. We were very dry for over a month but started getting more rain as fall began. Leaves are pretty much gone except for some Oak and Pignut Hickory. We are going into the teens the next couple nights, so the loooong fall is over! :oops:

Definitely frosty here now. There are still some oak leaves hanging on the younger trees and the young beech, as always, will hold till spring.

It's cold now! Above average November, now a below average December so far!

Go figure!

Off topic... Nice deer! Was your kid there when you hot it?

Thanks! He just turned 3 a few days after that picture. He can barely sit still to brush his teeth much less for hours on end. I may build a shooting shack next year to start taking him out. I was interested to see his reaction to it though. He can process the thought of deer=food. And large part of that I beli be is because of our chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.