Not a wood id question, but question on health of tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Am I losing my cherry tree? My neighbor says that the fungus is a sign that the tree is dead or dying. Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Sorry but I am having troubles posting pictures. Anyway there is a large yellow flower looking growth coming from the bottom of the tree, about two feet from the ground..There are also some dead branches up the trunk.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 237
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 237
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 212
Looks like the tree is approaching the end of its life cycle, don't know much about the fungus but looking at the holes in the bark that is exposing the heart wood suggests some kind of wound occurred years ago, either snapped limb or lightning strike.

That flower is a mushroom fungus and you can just knock it off. A few dead leaves mean nothing. I agree that the tree may be coming to the end of it's life span. The worst problem I see is what appears to be a split between the main trunks just above the mushroom. As that widens, it will allow more critters, moisture, etc. into the cavity and you will get rot. Probably already there and that's what the fungus is feeding on.

Best to knock off the fungus, scrape it back as best possible, then spray pruning paint into the crack area as best you can. You may get another dozen years or one trunk may come down anytime.

it looks like a wound from years past has finally taken its course as far as allowing the heartwood to be exposed to fungi. the mushroom you see is only the flower part of the whole plant/mycelium. the mycelium will colonize the entire dead part of the tree and reduce it to compost over the years. living trees have a natural resistance to fungus and so mushrooms can only grow on the dead tissue. no telling how long it has left.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I just took down a cherry the other day, and it was originally invaded by woodpeckers, then the robins too over and nested in the trunk hollow. It let moisture and fungus in, and the heartwood was in bad shape. It was close to the end of its life cycle anyway. I'd say it has at least 3-4 years left of producing, but that could be a stretch. If you like cherries, let it stand until it doesn't bear fruit anymore. If you love firewood, cut it down before the innards turn to a pile of mushy sawdust.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

Turn n burn: I have only lived here going on one year, but I have never seen any cherries at all. Just broken branches everytime there is a strong wind.

The tree is very alive, and Black Cherries can live 100-150 yrs.
It has exposed heartwood from and old (unfortunate)bark wound. The mushroom is as someone said, eating or living on the dead center of the tree. The center wood is non functioning for the tree anyway, but this tree's heartwood has been invaded by bugs and fungus which will weaken the structure of the tree and its capacity to withstand ice and storm damage.
If it was me I would let it live but if the tree can reach the house in the event it comes down in a hurricane type storm then I would mark it for culling.
Typically the only damage to the tree is at the base where you see the mushroom. No big deal really.
Also Cherries are known for dropping dead limbs, thats why they arent planted in urban settings. And the fruit is quite small but favored by wildlife.
The tree has been weakened but its far from dead. Personal call on cutting it.

Agree with the above. It's probably on its way out, but still looks pretty healthy. Unless it is close to a structure that could be damaged if it falls, I would leave it until it becomes an eye-sore, then cut it down for firewood. Still a good wildlife tree...should make plenty of berries with all that sun.

I have never seen any cherries at all.
Black cherries, as noted, are very small and eaten by birds. It's easier to see the small white blossoms in the Spring.

Black cherries, as noted, are very small and eaten by birds. It's easier to see the small white blossoms in the Spring.

black cherries also make an awesome jam... if you have the patience... or a food mill...

Don't throw that mushroom away. It's a chicken mushroom. Very tasty. Keep an eye on that tree it will keep coming back. Don't let it get too much bigger it gets very stringy and tough.

Thought that was chicken of the woods. Thanks for the confirming id.

Man I thought I was gonna be first on the id on the edible mushroom yall boys are quick lol.

That's pretty cool. Never would have guessed you could eat that mushroom To me (someone who doesn't know a morel from a skullcap) it just looks like it wants to kill someone. Very interesting......

Good info, I also have a black cherry between the 2 pole barns with a similar wound. I was debating cutting it, but I think I'll wait a bit yet. I have a few other standing dead that need dealt with first. How would you prepare said mushroom? Personally I love mushrooms but have only gotten store bought

You can substitute the mushroom in chicken recipes. Just make sure it's fully cooked through. It's easier if it's cut up into small strips so it cooks evenly and faster. You can even deep fry it. It's considered a delicacy as it only grows wild.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.