Not Anymore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This tree I use to park the truck by and load up wood when cutting in that area, last weekend I noticed it is ready to go. Time for a new area to park the truck.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0685.jpg
    100_0685.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 100_2430.jpg
    100_2430.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 419
tfdchief said:
What is it Zap? It looks rotten all the way through. Hope you can get something from it.

I think it's basswood but I'm not sure, we have sugar maple in that area also.

zap

That was close.

Thistle said:
That was close.

You want close?

About ten years or so ago, I was fishing to an October hatch of tiny blue-winged olives (a type of mayfly) on my beloved Battenkill River. I caught a movement out of the corner of my right eye. It was a big maple about the size of the one in Zap's photo... falling down in my direction. Well, you know, you can't really run too fast when you're up to your nipples in icy-cold moving water. You close your eyes and you pray. Damn thing landed about 20 feet from me. The splash wake almost bowled me over.

It was over in a second, but the waders took an hour to wash out.

I caught dozens of trout by that tree over the next few years as they fed in the shelter of its branches. Then one spring it disappeared downstream somewhere in a big snowmelt flood, and the trout had to find a new parking spot.

Sorry you lost your parking spot, Zap. Happy to hear you still have your truck.

May also have some termite damage. In my experience trees with termites/damage will dull a chain just as fast as hitting dirt with the chain. I'm just making small talk here, termites don't deter me from cutting wood, but going in I know I will have the sharpen the chain soon.

Battenkiller said:
Thistle said:
That was close.

You want close?

About ten years or so ago, I was fishing to an October hatch of tiny blue-winged olives (a type of mayfly) on my beloved Battenkill River. I caught a movement out of the corner of my right eye. It was a big maple about the size of the one in Zap's photo... falling down in my direction. Well, you know, you can't really run too fast when you're up to your nipples in icy-cold moving water. You close your eyes and you pray. Damn thing landed about 20 feet from me. The splash wake almost bowled me over.

It was over in a second, but the waders took an hour to wash out.

I caught dozens of trout by that tree over the next few years as they fed in the shelter of its branches. Then one spring it disappeared downstream somewhere in a big snowmelt flood, and the trout had to find a new parking spot.

Sorry you lost your parking spot, Zap. Happy to hear you still have your truck.

I think I would have chit my pants & waders, glad your here.

zap

Zap, when I see a tree getting near that point I'll either stay away or cut it down before it falls when you don't want it to fall. As Battenkiller found out, it can get nasty.

bet that was good firewood about 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.