Not bad for 20 bucks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niko

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2013
Dutchess county, NY
Well see how long it lasts, first time using it and I like it.

Reactions: jcapler
Neat idea... instead of using a rake. Save yourself some time and shake the coals directly in an ash bucket?

I have always thought separating has been a pain in the butt. How bad is the ash floating around when you are shaking it like that. It didn't look like too much from the video but just wondered. Seems like when I scoop the ash out it floats around so bad and there is a light dusting in the air.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Last edited:
Neat idea... instead of using a rake. Save yourself some time and shake the coals directly in an ash bucket?

well i want the coals so they cam ignite my next fire. My stove has a ash bucket if you look in the video you can see the hole. After i get all the coals i sweep the ash into the hole

I have always thought separating has been a pain in the butt. How bad is the ash floating around when you are shaking it like that. It didn't look like too much from the video but just wondered. Seems like when I scoop the ash out it floats around so bad and there is a light dusting in the air.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Well i haven't cleaned my stove in like 2 weeks maybe more. I wait a lil bit for the belly to get somewhat full before i clean it out.

As far as the ash flying around i think i will be ok, i did it with the stove a lil hot so that my draft is still good. If the ash was a lil much it was probably from me having to hold the phone also.

Last edited:
I am burning mostly ash. To easy to get ahold of and it is free so it gets burnt year round.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Id do the same thing..

Well see how long it lasts, first time using it and I like it.

Well I guess you do what you have to do in order to make a plug ash system viable. A well designed stationary grate ash system is much easier, faster, and cleaner. But I give you an attaboy for thinking out of the box.

I can easily separate ash from the coals with my ash hoe. I pull the big coals to one side, send the ash down the hole, repeat on the other side. Very simple, very fast, very little mess. It's a well designed system. I lose some coals with the ash, no big deal! The majority can be saved with very little effort.

I have one of these sifters, and I have tried this.

Bad idea. Dust rises like a plume from the bucket. It is easier in the situations were there is a huge mass of coals and ash in your stove, and you want to start separating them so that they burn down. However, there's a coating of ash on everything when you are done, and it travels. I have a basement stove, and it coated the room above the stairs with a noticeable film of ash dust after doing this one time.

Bottom line: keep this process in the stove.

Reactions: BuckyBeaver524
I have one of these sifters, and I have tried this.

Bad idea. Dust rises like a plume from the bucket. It is easier in the situations were there is a huge mass of coals and ash in your stove, and you want to start separating them so that they burn down. However, there's a coating of ash on everything when you are done, and it travels. I have a basement stove, and it coated the room above the stairs with a noticeable film of ash dust after doing this one time.

Bottom line: keep this process in the stove.

Yes thank you, their is a video of me doing it.

grate ash system is much easier
Yep. No way I'm doing that much work! <>
I can easily separate ash from the coals with my ash hoe.
Doesn't that singe your hair? ;lol Seriously though, it's pretty easy. The coals seem to float on top of the ash. With the Buck, I just skimmed the coals off to the side with the edge of the shovel. The ash dump was also off to one side, making it even easier to get the coals away from the dump.

Reactions: webby3650
Yes thank you, their is a video of me doing it.

Yeah. I saw, and that's how I generally do mine. But I have tried it outside of the stove, and wanted to stop another from making the same mistake. If a person did that with a stove installed in their living space, they would have a day's worth of cleaning and dusting to do.

Yep. No way I'm doing that much work! <>

If I had it to do over again, I would have a stove with an ash grate. I think that it would be much easier for how I run my stove.

If I had it to do over again, I would have a stove with an ash grate. I think that it would be much easier for how I run my stove.
Can't beat it. :cool:
BTW, you can hover over your user name at the top of the page, click on "signature" and put your stove make and model in...

BTW, you can hover over your user name at the top of the page, click on "signature" and put your stove make and model in...
I can easily separate ash from the coals with my ash hoe. I pull the big coals to one side, send the ash down the hole, repeat on the other side. Very simple, very fast, very little mess. It's a well designed system. I lose some coals with the ash, no big deal! The majority can be saved with very little effort.
Every once and a while I go over to the BK Performance Thread to read some comments; however, I never make comments there because I don't own a BK. Based on BK owner comments regarding the plug ash system, you are a majority of one when it comes to loving it. Everyone else there seems to fall into the range of saying it's OK to hating it. To each his own I guess,.

Every once and a while I go over to the BK Performance Thread to read some comments; however, I never make comments there because I don't own a BK. Based on BK owner comments regarding the plug ash system, you are a majority of one when it comes to loving it. Everyone else there seems to fall into the range of saying it's OK to hating it. To each his own I guess,.
I compare mine to the many, many other stoves I've used and continue to use. None are perfect, but the plug is cleaner and easier to deal with than any others I've had.

Hickory-smoked fries...YUM! ==c

Lol i was at my restaurant and i had this idea awhile ago. Finally put it to test and it works decent for the price, way cheaper then the other products i have seen. If you guys habe other methods please share with some videos :).

Youtube account are free to make and you can upload them right from your cell phone if that is easier for you.

I compare mine to the many, many other stoves I've used and continue to use. None are perfect, but the plug is cleaner and easier to deal with than any others I've had.
And you dont have to worry about air leaks through the ash door

Reactions: webby3650
And you dont have to worry about air leaks through the ash door

I wish mine had an ash plug. Seems to be I get a leaky ash drawer occasionally cause of built up ash. Is the purpose of this plug so you can empty the stove when running or warm and not have rushing air go through the stove or is it just a different way to get ash to the pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish mine had an ash plug. Seems to be I get a leaky ash drawer occasionally cause of built up ash. Is the purpose of this plug so you can empty the stove when running or warm and not have rushing air go through the stove or is it just a different way to get ash to the pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Precisely! Leaky ashpan doors are the #1 killer of stoves.

Reactions: Tegbert

I know, just never got around to it. May as well do that now though