Not bad for the Old Dragon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
As most around here I let the fire go out yesterday and have yet to start one. Ran a brush down the chimney and here's what we got. I really like this new liner, takes all the guess work out of cleaning. Only about a foot at the top had much of anything. I am guessing that this was mainly from the slabs I have burnt occasionally as a friend (fellow wood burner and portable saw mill operator) told me that he has always heard that bark causes more creosote than the wood itself. I can't confirm that but maybe someone on here could comment if they have heard anything similar.

Attachments

• cleaning 001.jpg
    cleaning 001.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 649
  • cleaning 002.jpg
    cleaning 002.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 650
Stage two nasties......

BeGreen said:
http://chimneyrepairminneapolis.com/minneapolis-mn-chimney-cleaning.htm

Got it.

Thanks!

I think I almost got the Stage 2 Nasties from Victoria Nebronsky in thesummer of 69.. but it was a false alarm! :)

Oldhippie said:
I think I almost got the Stage 2 Nasties from Victoria Nebronsky in thesummer of 69.. but it was a false alarm! :)

Nothing brushing out your "chimney" won't fix.

:ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

Very similar amount as I am getting out of my VC after 6 weeks. Just keep it clean with a schedule and it should be fine. I, to, find the largest, blackest stuff near the top and understand that is common regarding the conensation and lower temps as it gets near the chimney exit.

As a side note: Since I began using Rutlands creasote remover once a week or so I am getting nearly the same amount but it is mostly brown/grey and ashy Vs. More black and shiny with the only black coming off the top few inches and cap when I tap it(I clean from bottom up)

There are mixed opinions regarding the Rutlands but it is so cheep that I feel it offers peace of mind so I will continue to use it. If you search my post history you can see picks of what I am talking about.

I doubt bark causes creosote unless it's wet, and if it is than the wood is wet also. A good hot fire and dry wood is best. I reload bark down, fire takes off quicker than if I put non bark side against he coals.

I see very small amounts of stage 1 stuff in my chimney. Never enough to bother with.

Status
Not open for further replies.