not bugs but grubs in my wood? what are they?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I also noticed some bugs in my wood inside the house. I saw some saw dust on the floor and noticed, mostly in the black walnut, some white grubs tunneling. My boiler rm floor is concrete, walls are metal stud and 5/8 drywall, so I hope they dont spread into the house. Anyone else have wood boring white grubs in their wood pile? Most of this wood came from a lot about a half mile from my house.
Mike

They are a tree borer an insect larva that tunnels into stems and trunks of shrubs, trees.

Hard to say which one without a picture. Could be a emerald ash borer but you say the wood is walnut.

Kill them and check the other wood if the hatch they will borer in your trees if you have any.

Good Luck...
md

I think you don't have to worry about your house, even if it was wood. Grubs generally are very specific about the type of tree wood they eat, both in terms of species of wood and condition of the wood. Not too many insects can dead with fully dried lumber. I don't think any grubs from the firewood will bore into your furniture, although I am sure you don't want them crawling around the house and dying.

There are tons of wood boring insects in any woodland, and most are simply part of the native fauna. Do they cause damage? Sure, I guess they do sometimes, but in general there are lots of native trees despite lots of native wood boring insects. Birds, disease, climate, other insects, and the natural resistance of the trees all help keep the native insects in check. Besides, most of them only attack dead or dying trees. Problems like Emerald Ash borer are mostly caused by introduced insects that don't hvae native controls on the population. In any case, the few grubs in your wood aren't changing the natural balance at all, as long as you have local firewood. For every grub in your firewood there are probably 10,000 out in the woods doing their thing.

Fugged about it . . . another vote to not worry . . . but instead go all Shadrack, Meshack and Abnego on their lilly white carpaces (well actually grubs would not have any carpaces . . . but you get the idea.)

Status
Not open for further replies.