Not enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maurrich

Jan 4, 2008
Upstate NY
Hi, brand new to this forum and looking for some help ( I haven't gone back to the dealer yet ). I have a 1998 Jotul Series 3 CB woodstove ( purchased 1999 ). I have it installed on the fireplace hearth vented up thru the damper with insulation around the flexible stainless steel flue pipe. The primary room it's in is long and narrow ( about 11 x 22 ), with a kitchen ( 12 x20 ) off that. I have never been able to really get the room warm........if it's 70 to 72 we're happy ( and that's with a digital thermometer on my fireplace mantel right over the woodstove, so it's not a true room tempature reading ). I have family and friends with stoves and they seem to put out ALOT more heat, altho the Jotul Series 3 CB is a smaller stove. Sorry for rambling, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

make very sure your wood is seasoned well....if not, you can burn all day without real btu's do you have a blower? " big difference" that and sounds like you too are in a learning curve like many of us.

Any type of blower? I have an insert in essentially a 12x30 room, and the bedrooms are another 30' beyond that. With a blower on the insert and a 12" fan running on low on the mantle, I can heat the back of the house to 70F while the stove room runs 76-78. If you want to heat more than a single room, you need to move some air.

maurrich said:
Hi, brand new to this forum and looking for some help ( I haven't gone back to the dealer yet ). I have a 1998 Jotul Series 3 CB woodstove ( purchased 1999 ). I have it installed on the fireplace hearth vented up thru the damper with insulation around the flexible stainless steel flue pipe. The primary room it's in is long and narrow ( about 11 x 22 ), with a kitchen ( 12 x20 ) off that. I have never been able to really get the room warm........if it's 70 to 72 we're happy ( and that's with a digital thermometer on my fireplace mantel right over the woodstove, so it's not a true room tempature reading ). I have family and friends with stoves and they seem to put out ALOT more heat, altho the Jotul Series 3 CB is a smaller stove. Sorry for rambling, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You said you have insulation where your flex goes through your old fire place damper. What type of insulation & do you have a block off plate?
Sounds like your heat is going up the outside of your liner. Insulation does not stop drafts. Unless its super packed. This is not
the right way. This a standard wood stove resting on the hearth I take it. Welcome to the hearth. Gotta go, others will take it from here with the help of your answeres. Your in good hands here. N of 60 :coolsmile:

Welcome Maurich. The F3CB is a nice small stove with a big heart, but it will not do what you need it to do when it's really cold in your area. You need a larger stove. Is there an upstairs or is this just one floor?

BeGreen Look @ the sqare feet he is trying to heat. Even the room the wood stove is in is not cookin. Its the size of a large wall tent.
11x22 Hes loosen heat somewhere. I can keep the wall tent warmer than that. ;-)

I want to know the whole scenario - the whole house sq. ftg.. I am wondering whether there is an open staircase nearby and a second floor. Also wondering about ceiling heights. FWIW, he says there is insulation around the flue pipe, not sure if that is liner insulation or fiberglass stuffing around the pipe.

But North of 60 could be correct. Maurich, how is the quality of the wood? Is it well seasoned and dry? Is there a thermometer on the stove top? It would really help to know what temperature the stove is burning at. How does the fire look, nice and even all the way across or biased towards one side? Do you get good secondary burning?

Is it an outside wall fireplace? They can be a real heat sucker. I agree with others, you need a block off plate, also a rear heat shield and blower to reflect the heat into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.