Not even going to try.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
a neighbor was eyeing the pine rounds that were the result of 2 decent sized pine trees. Neighbor said, "too bad you can't do anything with it...I mean you can'tburn it inside." I just wanted the conversation to be over so, I kind of just nodded. I know that this a common myth, but it's strikingly common. It's funny, I got the same nonsense when I was heavy into carp fishing (common carp). Must have heard the words "trash fish" a thousand times. I'll bet none of those people burn pine!

Last edited:
I feel ya. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to discuss it.

I have no problem eating carp... but if I have the choice between that or a smallmouth bass, well, that's a silly question. Fresh smallie is delicious. Carp is ....eh, ok. Not many redeeming qualities to it.

At least pine burns nice and hot.

First, I love pine! I prefer it over all the hardwoods. I also like poplar!

I find that when you mention you burn pine, people look at you as if your crazy, that when you do, the time and space continuum will split wide open and swallow the entire area. I so love pine! ==c

As for carp, I love it smoked.

I enjoy all these pine threads.... Its interesting that around here you would never hear that conversation because we have so much of it and its our go to wood. I get my own but if I had to buy it I would pay around $150 a cord. Lodgepole pine is one of the higher btu pines available for which Im grateful. I still try my best to find the gold of coniferous trees the larch and then fir. If Im around the house or its a load after work its always lodgepole pine.

Seems like most folks who say you shouldn't burn pine also believe that wood seasons in a pile and rounds busted today can be burned today. ;)

Reactions: Omaha419
The myth is so entrenched here in CT that people give it away for free. Now that knowing what I know, I find free pine everywhere. I just tell them its for a bon fire to avoid the conversation, because they do look at you like you have 4 heads if you say its for my stove.

2 seconds on CL here is another: http://hartford.craigslist.org/zip/5295052684.html lol Any one in the Berlin area want free pine?

The majority of woodburners in this area that I know use older smoke dragons. I find that the majority of them wouldn't burn pine, for fear of a chimney fire/creosote, if you begged them. I also find that most of them split their wood in the fall (often late fall) to burn for that winter. Most would admit that the dryer the wood the better, but I find it ironic that they wouldn't touch a dry stack of pine, but will regularly burn wet hardwoods...

Status
Not open for further replies.