Not everyone is good...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of where the camera was placed, it also makes me suspect of someone; that is, someone who knows our place and was out roaming when he shouldn't have been. So, he sees the camera and realizes that his picture would be on the camera already so just took it so as to destroy the evidence. rdust is right, it isn't like our place is on the beaten track so no doubt it was someone local.

That sucks bad, sorry.
Nothing worse than being ripped off.
It's not even the item so much for me, it's the thought of being stolen from.
I live in a small town 10K people. My coworkers always give me a hard time cause i lock up my
tool boxes on my work truck every night. There is $1000.00 worth of tools in there. Just takes one dirt bag.
I recently added a vice to the back of my truck. $300.00. I welded a mount and drilled a hole with a padlock.
I lived in Phoenix for 13 years and had my truck broken into several times, it's sad but don't trust many people anymore.

So did you report the theft to the local law enforcement agency?

Do you suppose it would do any good Jake? There were no tracks to be found and what evidence would you look for? No, just have to realize we're out a hundred bucks. Cripes, I've given needy folks more than that but having it stole from you is different.

Backwoods Savage said:
Do you suppose it would do any good Jake? There were no tracks to be found and what evidence would you look for? No, just have to realize we're out a hundred bucks. Cripes, I've given needy folks more than that but having it stole from you is different.

A reward of some firewood for anyone who turns the low life in, get the word out, it's worth a try.

A few years back a friend saw a man going back in on our property (he was 100% sure it was this guy) so I called (no answer) but left a message explaining that the land was posted and it was for personal/family use only, the next day she called me,up oneside of me down the other then hung up.

Never realized owning land entilted you to a good ole ass chewing from a TRESPASSER'S wife!

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis I would definitely report it to the local police and to any DCR officers. They may stop the scum bag for something else and see your camera in the truck or they may be walking in the woods to check hunting licenses and find one. Most officers are regular people and hate the violators as much as you. Nothing to lose. And it gets the word out that you are serious. Be safe.
ED

firefighterjake said:
Don't get me going about "hunters" . . . real, true hunters I have no issues with whatsoever . . . folks like the idiots who ended up putting my Uncle in a hospital after they beat him up when he asked them to get off his land . . . well . . . enough said . . . well almost enough said . . . we still have no idea of who burned their camp down.
Ouch, that is a bummer.

colebrookman said:
A bad guy in a neighboring town just put three of his enemies through a wood chipper then used a backhoe to bury them under a large rock. Course he was caught.
Ed %-P

He got that from Dexter or something like that...or was it a book I read? Something like that happend in Miami- in fiction or in reality.

Ironically The murdered guy was supposed to have protection provided by the local DA. Makes you wonder. Probably got the idea from Guido and his boys when they ran out of cement.
Ed

Lot to be said for engraving your drivers license number onto the camera. If the thief just pitched it in the woods, someone may find it but more likely they will take it home and at some point may get caught with it.

Sure is a shame backwoods. Being young i can only hear the stories of long ago when permission came with a handshake and also respect from both parties.
Hope your still able to tag a nice one this year.

Webmaster said:
colebrookman said:
A bad guy in a neighboring town just put three of his enemies through a wood chipper then used a backhoe to bury them under a large rock. Course he was caught.
Ed %-P

He got that from Dexter or something like that...or was it a book I read? Something like that happend in Miami- in fiction or in reality.

Didn't something like this happen in real life in CT . . . guy stuffed his wife through a chipper . . . not sure which came first though . . . this real life incident or the scene in Fargo.

colebrookman said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis I would definitely report it to the local police and to any DCR officers. They may stop the scum bag for something else and see your camera in the truck or they may be walking in the woods to check hunting licenses and find one. Most officers are regular people and hate the violators as much as you. Nothing to lose. And it gets the word out that you are serious. Be safe.
ED

My thinking as well . . . oftentimes these dirtbags get busted sooner or later . . . it never hurts to have the report on file in case law enforcement (police, sherriff, game wardens, etc.) end up busting the guy and find the game camera . . . only takes a few minutes of your time.

Backwoods Savage said:

Too right it's different.

One is you being a good guy, the other is someone nearby being a bad guy.

But not worth losing any sleep over, because the moment you change your life, you let them win..... ;-)

Right. I'll replace the camera but still dream of catching the thief.

Put a label on the next one: "Smile! You are on camera (and I'm not talking about this one)"

pen

Ya, I've seen that one suggested in the past. Might drive them nuts trying to find the other camera. :lol:

Carbon_Liberator said:
Not everyone is good…
I hope you are not just figuring that one out just now Dennis. ;-)

I have a sociopath neighbor who vandalized our irrigation lines that were attached to the chain-link fence between our properties. When I asked him why he did it he claimed the fence was on his property and he was just cleaning up "his" fence. I checked it out and the fence is actually on my property by a good 6", but instead of arguing I set up a video surveillance system with lots of cameras pointing along the fence line and re-attached the irrigation with hefty u-bolts so he would have to use some sort of heavy metal cutting tool to unattach it again. He hardly even goes near the fence anymore.
Frankly, I believe all people are inherently bad. We just need some sort of motivational reason to be good.

Most people are good, probably more than you realize. It's just that the minority of @holes are so profoundly exceptional at their craft. I shun them and deal with the good people, although none are my next door neighbor. My condolences to you. Replying to some later posts, the vast majority of hunters are responsible, respectful people. Except the one's on "Alaska State Troopers".

Someone else obviously had their camera nicked.........

Prayer.jpg

pen said:
Put a label on the next one: "Smile! You are on camera (and I'm not talking about this one)"

pen

i would suggest getting 2 new cameras...one to take pics of deer, the other to take pics of the camera taking pics of deer....no one ever expects the unexpected.

firefighterjake said:
Webmaster said:
colebrookman said:
Ed %-P

Didn't something like this happen in real life in CT . . . guy stuffed his wife through a chipper . . . not sure which came first though . . . this real life incident or the scene in Fargo.

Yup, Richard Crafts and the CT divorce machine...'86 I believe.

Nothing like reinventing the wheel. Is there no imagination among murderers!
Ed

I read that same new fiction novel about that wood chipper stuff that Craig did not long ago and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It was how the bad guys got rid of people. Delivered them to a guy in a shack with a chipper and they went away.

Equipment maintenance has to be a mess.

I think if you just throw a bunch, a big bunch, of green branches through the chipper it would clean up OK.

BrotherBart said:
I read that same new fiction novel about that wood chipper stuff that Craig did not long ago and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It was how the bad guys got rid of people. Delivered them to a guy in a shack with a chipper and they went away.

Equipment maintenance has to be a mess.

And then you have the crew from the Soprano's and what they did in Satriale's Pork Store...

Status
Not open for further replies.