Not feeling warm enough? what is your humidity at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete324rocket

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2007
albert county, new brunswick
When it gets really cold out and the heat gets cranked up - in my case it is the pellet stove and some electric heat, the extra heating can really dry out the air. I have noticed that when the humidity starts to go down,the heat sure doesn't feel as warm and it seems to take so much extra btu's to get that cosy feeling. Now this may be different for different situations,but in my case,I have found adding some moisture really makes a difference throughout the house. My pellet stove is in the basement(insulated) and I have hung up large water soaked towels(large surface area) or clothes from the washer and sometimes run the humidifier though that sucks electricity since there is a heating element in it. I thought I'd point that out,I'm sure most of you are somewhat aware of this. I find that my humidity gauge lies to be at 45% but I'm not positive that the gauge is accurate.At least though,when it goes down to 35%,my nose gets too dry and a sore throat when waking in the morning.I gives me some kind of measurement to go by.

I agree that the humidity/moisture in the air has an effect on how "warm and cozy" you feel. We have our humidifier running at least 6-8 hours a day when we're home. Somehow the moisture adds weight to the air, which helps hold the heat and distribute it more evenly. Now, I'm no scientist, and I can't tell you the "hows and whys", but I know there's got to be a valid explanation to all this. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but my hubby mentioned the same thing when our humidifier was running. At first he thought it was hooey, but now he's a believer.

I suppose it is the same idea as in the summer when it is hot and humid.The temperature doesn't have to be too awful high but if the humidity is high,it gives an extra punch. My humidifier is 400 watts and so I don't like the extra cost.I imagine most are fairly high wattage to get results.Cost alot if you run them 24/7.Plus there is a fine dust from the minerals that gets deposited. Wet towels are effective for me though it is a pain in the butt.

Scientific explanation:

(and no, moisture doesn't add "weight" to the air, or hold or distribute heat...although, it may "feel" that way).

when water evaporates, it draws heat.

air is like a sponge; it has a certain capacity to absorb and hold water. when its reached that capacity, it can't absorb any more. a dried out sponge can absorb lots of water.

We cool ourselves by perspiring, which is the excretion of water from ducts on our skin. When that water evaporates, it draws the heat away. Dry air does this much more quickly and therefore, effectively than moist air. So even a warm breeze, if its really dry air, can give you quite a chill. And it can "feel" colder or hotter than it really is.
My sis used to live in Arizona, and told me that its terrible getting out of a swimming pool, even in 115 degree heat, because the water evaporates so quickly. (I guess you can be completely dry in "seconds").

here in the damp northeast, we have the opposite situation in the summer; the air is so humid, it can't readily absorb our perspiration, so we sweat and sweat and sweat, and we don't get any cooler. and its not even "all that hot".

anyway, I've heard it said that you can lower the thermostat by a couple of degrees in winter, and still feel as comfortable, if your house has a certain level of humidity. can't remember the exact numbers, but you get the idea.

It's true - dry heat is "cold", a higher humidity level will be warmer. It's why summers here in Iowa can be miserable, while the same air temp. in the Southwest brings on goose bumps. Temp. comfort level and the humidity level in your house go hand in hand. Raise your humidity level and you can lower your burner setting.

why does it seem that i get better heat from my stove at nite than during the day? i had this same effect when i was burning wood. during the day the stove would sort of mull all day, then you could be sitting there and when the sun went down the stove would pick up and put out heat like a sun of a gun...my dad said something about high air pressure during the day?

my wife says the same thing, the pellet stove puts out better heaat at nite without changing the settings than during the day.

mike

Also the moisture in the air is a better conductor which helps heat or cool us. but its all dependent on your temperature inside the house. For instance 68F I believe is considered room temp, this is because our average skin temp is 68F (obviously everyone is going to be different) But at this temp our body does not have to try to heat or cool us so we are comfortable.

I keep my house at about 65F and I can tell its a little cold. if I were to add humidity (currently my house floats between 30 and 38%) I will actually make the air feel colder to me. But if I had the temp up around 70F then added some humidity it will feel very warm.

I only start adding humidity if it drops below 25% and I start to remove humidity once I hit about 65%. I think I read online that between 30 and 55% is ideal humidity for comfort and health.

I am adding 7 gallons of water a day to the air in my 175 year old house with the humidifier set on low. Where does all that water go? I just hope it is not condensing up in the attic. Old houses don't have vapor barriers. With all that water I'm adding, I still only have an RH of 40%.

You got one thirty house haha.

I was cursing my dirft floor basement and crawl spaces over the summer month (very high humidity) but now they keep my humidity almost exactly where I want it.

I have a old stone rubble foundation and have to run a huge dehumidifier in the summer months at a cost of $75/month. It is very humid down there right now around 60-65%, but non of that humidity makes it upstairs. What is the scientific explanation for that.

[/quote]its called a cold sink. heat goes to cold & humidity carries along . if cellar was warmer than upstairs, humidity would ascend into house & make lots of trouble.
cold house,no heat, in winter has colder upstairs.
similarly, a totally covered woodpile draws humidity from warmer ground below to colder top of pile so dont cover the sides of the woodpile.[/quote]

Thanks for that explanation. Not only was it interesting, but it was very helpful and goes a long way towards explaining some of the humidity issues that I am experiencing.

[quote author="pete324rocket" date="1231291380"]When it gets really cold out and the heat gets cranked up - in my case it is the pellet stove and some electric heat, the extra heating can really dry out the air. I have noticed that when the humidity starts to go down,the heat sure doesn't feel as warm and it seems to take so much extra btu's to get that cosy feeling. Now this may be different for different situations,but in my case,I have found adding some moisture really makes a difference throughout the house. My pellet stove is in the basement(insulated) and I have hung up large water soaked towels(large surface area) or clothes from the washer and sometimes run the humidifier though that sucks electricity since there is a heating element in it. I thought I'd point that out,I'm sure most of you are somewhat aware of this. I find that my humidity gauge lies to be at 45% but I'm not positive that the gauge is accurate.At least though,when it goes down to 35%,my nose gets too dry and a sore throat when waking in the morning.I gives me some kind of measurement to go by.[/quote
I'm felt the same way so, I went to homedepot and bought 2 medium cool mist humidifiers one in living room where stove is and one up stairs. I can feel a big difference in heat and my nose is less dry. oh, I paid 24.95 for each one and low electric usage.

I have a "whole house" evaporative humidifier, and I'm using about 8 gal a day....RH is at 49%

Status
Not open for further replies.