Not finnished Wood slab cutting block/ serving tray!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana

22 inchs long by 12 inch wide. What You think?

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 304
  • block1.jpg
    block1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 289
I like big chunks of wood. Round all edges reasonably well- a cutting board may take abuse that would cause damage to sharper wood edges. Probably a weel heavy to use as a serving tray- I think of a serving tray as something that you put food on and carry out to guests- though it could be a cool centerpiece where you put condiments, dishes, salt and pepper, bottle of wine, etc

Adios Pantalones said:
I like big chunks of wood. Round all edges reasonably well- a cutting board may take abuse that would cause damage to sharper wood edges. Probably a weel heavy to use as a serving tray- I think of a serving tray as something that you put food on and carry out to guests- though it could be a cool centerpiece where you put condiments, dishes, salt and pepper, bottle of wine, etc

Oh this is going to look very cool with a big piece of meat and a big knife to carry and set at the table. Weight is not as much as you think its a milling end board.

Cool Jay

Is that walnut?

Billy

looks cool! I can see the London Broil on it with a serving knife and fork, surrounded by roasted potatoes... maybe its time to go to lunch.

Remmy122 said:
looks cool! I can see the London Broil on it with a serving knife and fork, surrounded by roasted potatoes... maybe its time to go to lunch.

Thats What I am thinking on both......lol

jay, i don't know why i haven't noticed your products before tonight. nice. and you did ask,"what do you think?" so here it is. the first thing i thought of was a nice slow (9-11 hr) cooked beef briskest and laying that on the table this summer at the lake! only thing you need on the surface is a "blood groove" all around the perimeter so the juices have somewhere to flow while it is carried and then carved. i have spilt more than my share on the way from the smoker or to the table.
next thing i would like to know is what are those "adaptors" called that you attach to a chain saw in order to rip cut the logs length wise. would they have them available at my local saw shop (husky stihl ariens and a bunch of other stuff dealer)

edit- you could use a router to put the groove in, no?

I was thinking Id like to see some of the other stuff youve made too. maybe itll inspire my creative side...

Looks like a mini-me picnic table.
I can surely see a big slab 'o beef on there! Maybe several slabs of your favorite fish? Grilled, of course.
I need my bib. Anybody seen my bib?
Good idea on rounding the edges slightly. What kind of finish is planned?
If the grill wasn't buried in snow, I'd be out there grilling something.

Adios Pantalones said:
A groove to keep stuff from leaking off would be a big help. That steak is super juicy (at least the one in my head). And that watermelon will not be contained this summer :)

Working on that lol the old bit will not come out of the router.....Craftsman 1-1/2 hp. My dad handed it to me on Tuesday and said here you can have this craftsman router. When I tryed to get the bit out he laugh and said thats a craftsman. Been working on it ever sence! lol

PapaDave said:
Have you tried PB blaster on it? Let it soak.

LOL Yes first thing been soaking sence Tuesday....Oh and my gf only buys the pb...lol

Who's work bench is that? Its awful clean.

MMaul said:
Who's work bench is that? Its awful clean.

LOL Dont think I have seen it in over a year!

Dont think I have ever seen it. LOL

Attachments

• resize chippwa.jpg
    resize chippwa.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 207
Come on now that pic was taking like three years ago. LOL

MMaul said:
Come on now that pic was taking like three years ago. LOL

Yea I was ready to set the whole place on fire Tuesday. Could even walk. Saw dust is part of my blood stream and eye balls now.

Going to plow the drive and its not snow! lol

Update. Almost done still need juice grove and hand rub out with olive oil. 600 grit sand paper...Yep 600.lol That is purple showing up very well at 600 grit

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (3).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (3).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 164
Adios Pantalones said:
It's a blood groove- for midget sacrifice.

lol

Birthday present installed. lol Update she wants black locust bowls for x-mass instead of Crystal.

Attachments

• platter.jpg
    platter.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 136
That is stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.