not going crazy with dollar bill test??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Im not sure i buy the dollar bill ripping test or or being very hard to pull out. Only reason i say this is on my Isle Royale it has a top load feature and the seal is made from the weight of just the lid pressing against the gasket. So why would i go nuts trying to get a dollar bill to rip on the front doors when it slides right out of the top lid with somewhat ease??

Im not sure i buy the dollar bill ripping test or or being very hard to pull out. Only reason i say this is on my Isle Royale it has a top load feature and the seal is made from the weight of just the lid pressing against the gasket. So why would i go nuts trying to get a dollar bill to rip on the front doors when it slides right out of the top lid with somewhat ease??

I've never done the dollar bill test on my current stove since I have been given no evidence to believe there is a problem (I.E.> glass doesn't have any suspicious dark spots, burn times are appropriate, stove is easily controllable).

So, if you don't have a problem, I don't think I'd worry.

I'll add, the bill test presumes a door that is closed with a latch. The test is also assessing whether or not the latch might need adjustment. For a situation like a top plate, I'd try the dollar bill test just to see how evenly the bill pulls through in various locations so that you have a baseline for the future in case a concern does arise.

pen

If I thought it was going to rip in two, I'd use something other than a dollar bill. :rolleyes:

I check the seal . . . or gaskets rather . . . at the start of every burn season with the "dollar bill test."

However, I've always gone with a If-it-doesn't-pull-out-or-only-pulls-out-with-a-bit-of-force it's OK principle . . . seems to work out pretty well.

if "dollar bill" test is not feasible due to the configuration of the door seal you could use a "smoke" test, with an incense stick or use a match flame to go around the perimeter of the door while shut to see if the flame is drawn to the door by a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.