not going crazy with dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I was going nuts adjusting doors , new gaskets twice a year then i realized Im not sure i buy the dollar bill ripping test or or being very hard to pull out. Only reason i say this is on my Isle Royale it has a top load feature and the seal is made from the weight of just the lid pressing against the gasket. So why would i go nuts trying to get a dollar bill to rip on the front doors when it slides right out of the top lid with somewhat ease??

They way my stove works(osburn 2200) the only place the dollar bill works is by handle. Brand new that dollar could pull easily from any spot. Seems to be the design of stove. The shape. I'm sure with other stoves that's the test but not this stove. Unless I need to tighten handle again. Lol. I could be wrong

My Monty only passes at the top of the door in the dead center. Won't even pass by the handle. It's brand new

It doesn't have to be tight to the point of tearing. You need to feel a reasonable amount of resistance for the gasket to seal. If it is too tight, you're shortening the life of the gasket, and putting more stress on stove components.

If you are going to rip dollars, send them to me instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.