Not good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckitch

Feb 18, 2014
Michigan
This is the elbow 4' up from the stove there is some shiney stuff but its all dry and crumbles of when touched just worried about the liner now, don't have stuff to sweep right now but cleaned up the stove pipe. How bad of shape am I in? I know it's not good but is it dangerous? My wood is all 9 months to one year CSS dead ash, burns very good I get 700 at peak every reload. Only thing I can think is the shoulder season (small cool fires) and me figuring out how to run the stove caused this. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 299
Wow, that seems to be a lot for this far into the season.
Definitely check the top, as it is usually the worst area.
Wood may not be as dry as you think, or your smoldering the fire.

How thick was that debris in the pipe? (difficult to appreciate in the pic)

Maybe 1/4" at the thickest, most was 1/16" pretty worrisome in the stove pipe I was expecting nothing much that close to the stove. I was not running it right during October, not getting the temps up fast enough or hot enough but that's just me being careful and new at this

That is a lot for being so close to the stove. Should be nothing but maybe a little fly ash.

Is there a possible air leak at the flue collar? Tell us more about how this stove flue system is set up, from stove top to chimney cap.

Judging from what i see on my chimney cap from the ground im thinking im in the same boat as you, it's just caked with creosote. Interesting we're running the same stove. guess i better get up there this week and take a more in depth peek.
Are you pushing your air intake rod all the way in as far as it will go? I was doing that and it was causing it to smoulder and making the glass real dirty.

I have all double wall stove pipe, 4' up to an elbow 3' to the stainless liner snout then the T then 20' of uninsulated 5.5" liner in an 7x11 clay chimney exterior

The weird part is I've been keeping an eye on the chimney with my binoculars and that thing looks clean just a little brown but no shiney black, I have the air all the way pushed in once in a while with cold and windy conditions it's the only way to slow it down, mostly run with it out 1/2 inch

Can you get at it from the bottom at the "T"? Going to warm up a little bit later this week(at least in mid-Michigan) and a good time for an early view and brush out. Ash is kind of the staple wood to heat with here in Michigan since its all dead but even the dead standing stuff burns best on two or more years in the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.