Not inspected in Mass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Anyone know what will happen if you burn in a stove before the inspector comes...I'm still waiting for him to come and its suppose to be a cold weekend..getting the shakes over here wanting to try out the new stove...

I dont have an answer for you, but when I put my deposit on my Hampton insert ( Being installed in 2 days :) ) I asked if it needed to be inspected. I was told that there was no inspection necessary.

I guess it varies state to state.

If everything is done right and he isnt a complete dick he will give you a wink and tell you you're ready for break in fire #2 ;)

FJLayes625 said:
Anyone know what will happen if you burn in a stove before the inspector comes...I'm still waiting for him to come and its suppose to be a cold weekend..getting the shakes over here wanting to try out the new stove...

Nope, I don't, but I sure wish the Elk was still posting here. He would go ballistic on you.

why would he do that?

Try to get the inspector on the phone and ask if you can have a break in fire...as long as you are sure of the installation....

I'm in the same Boat. Having my Jotul Oslo installed on Monday, Fire inspector will come to inspect Wed. 7 PM. My inspection is only needed for insurance purposes, and the way my luck runs, I will wait until I hand the insurance company the form.

FJ, do you have it in writing that the stove can't be burnt before inspection? Is this posted on the town website? Is the information accessible? If yes, prolly a good idea not to burn. But if the info is not clearly public or on your permit, I'd probably burn. But I tend to overkill and exceed code on an install. You will have to judge on the quality of the installation if you take the risk. Of course I'd clean it up real nice before inspection and say I did a quick draft and smoke leak test to assert it was ok to inspect.

We don't have inspections here in Nebraska I guess, or permits either. I called the village office and they literally laughed at me! My insurance Co. told me as long as I had it professionally installed they wouldn't even bump my rates! I guess it varies allot from state to state, and local to local. I love living in small town USA!!!!!!! I built the hearth, and over built it, so I am sleeping good at night, and I am confident in my dealer installer. (Same guy, wife runs the store, he does the installs, Nat. certified etc.....)

My life long mantra has been, "It's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permssion."

I'm not sure I would say it was a break in fire. I think I would be honest and say it was cold as HE^$ out and I wanted to try the thing out.

If I had to lie, I would probably say I bought the stove used.

yeah that it is from the installer he needed to make sure it was drafting properly ;-) We would want you to come down and inspect a non drafting wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.