Not liking what I saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikhen

Oct 8, 2011
Oley, pa
I was taking the Christmas lights down today, and since the ladder was next to the vent pipe, I decided to take the cap off and dump the dirt. Well, to my surprise, the pipe coming through the wall was more than half full of ash, soot, etc. Not sure what to make of it. I cleaned the entire vent in September. I checked the specs, again, my horizontal is well under the manufacturer guidelines, and I have the 1/4" per foot incline as required. The specs say that a once a year cleaning is sufficient. I think that by the end of the season, the vent would have been 125% clogged. I burned about 15 bags of prest-o-crap, but I can't believe that would cause this. My flame is burning fine and always has. I clean the stove everyday and behind the baffles once a week.
Now the kicker. Tomorrow I will pull the cap off the cleanout. Problem is, the cleanout is sealed with silicone, as recommended by the dealer. I have my strap wrenches ready, and wife is on standby to run for new vent pieces if needed. Not looking forward to this.

My main concern is the amount of stuff in the vent. I can't believe the specs say once a year. Any input? I'm burning Lignetics now and they seem to be fine, so hopefully that helps. $235 a ton may make me stick with them during the heart of the season.

mikhen said:
I was taking the Christmas lights down today, and since the ladder was next to the vent pipe, I decided to take the cap off and dump the dirt. Well, to my surprise, the pipe coming through the wall was more than half full of ash, soot, etc. Not sure what to make of it. I cleaned the entire vent in September. I checked the specs, again, my horizontal is well under the manufacturer guidelines, and I have the 1/4" per foot incline as required. The specs say that a once a year cleaning is sufficient. I think that by the end of the season, the vent would have been 125% clogged. I burned about 15 bags of prest-o-crap, but I can't believe that would cause this. My flame is burning fine and always has. I clean the stove everyday and behind the baffles once a week.
Now the kicker. Tomorrow I will pull the cap off the cleanout. Problem is, the cleanout is sealed with silicone, as recommended by the dealer. I have my strap wrenches ready, and wife is on standby to run for new vent pieces if needed. Not looking forward to this.

My main concern is the amount of stuff in the vent. I can't believe the specs say once a year. Any input? I'm burning Lignetics now and they seem to be fine, so hopefully that helps. $235 a ton may make me stick with them during the heart of the season.

Use a leaf blower and get that crap from the outside.

You need to clean the venting every ton or so, the normal use of a pellet stove being a space heater isn't to operate it like a furnace. Normal seasonal use is about one ton or one year.

You need to read through the manual again, every one I have seen says it depends upon the ash produced by the fuel you burn.

For comparison, my horizontal run gets about 3/8 to 1/2 inch buildup around the inside of the pipe by the end of the season, around 2 tons. It looks like a lot when you look in there. The vertical run gets nothing.

stellep said:
For comparison, my horizontal run gets about 3/8 to 1/2 inch buildup around the inside of the pipe by the end of the season, around 2 tons. It looks like a lot when you look in there. The vertical run gets nothing.

mine was lots more than that. Do you use the leaf blower trick or clean it during the season?

I've never cleaned the exhaust venting during the season, just the burning area of the stove. In the fall, I do the brush, vacuum, scrape, leaf blower and any other tips I learn from the folks here that's different/new from last year.

Keep in mind, some folks here have already burned 40-50 bags. It's been so warm, my 18th bag is in the stove now.

Every ton is good practice (with leafblower) to keep the stove at its highest efficiency.

If you dont do it then, at least check the cap. If it has a screen (One Simpson cap doesn't) then the screen will get plugged and your stove wont be able to breathe.

Only takes a minute to run a brush (lint-eater) down it. If you use a leafblower, there is no need to remove the cleanout cap. IMO

mikhen said:
would this leaf blower do the trick? Leaf Blower

Yep. Your gonna need to "adapt" it to the vent, so it seals pretty good.

I used a 4"-3" PVC reducer. It goes on over 3" or slips inside 4" (Simpson is all I have on anything). Stills needs taped (IMO) for a good seal. And I support the blower and run it the entire time I clean the stove (every ton). Remember to unhook vacuum line before turning on leafblower (some dont and have no issues).

Edit: Pic added.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 622
I have a gas powered leaf blower. Are they useable? I recognize the advantages of an electric.

Got my leaf blower today. now I need an early off from work or the weekend to get it done. thanx for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.