Not many 20 + Hr burn times with the BK now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Forcast: -5°F :bug:
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around -4. Wind chill values as low as -13. East wind between 3 and 6 mph. :bug:

Wasilla Airport online temperature ; "no Reading" maybe it froze
O°f right now, Full load made 14 hrs, & I added 4 split & cranked it up a notch. House 72,
The "Big splits" go on tonight .
Forecasting snow Wednesday night, & in the 20s,
Winter has set in , It'll melt come March :)
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AKZ111

Got lazy last night and decided not to put wood in the stove. Was pretty warm outside (20s?) so figured it would be fine.

Woke up this morning, 60* in the house and boiler going full tilt. Good thing I leave the T Stats to 60 cause who know how cold it would have been otherwise. -3* outside.

I'm sure it will be at least -5* tonight. It's 1* right now.

Need to find where I hid the block heater extension cords!

Could be worse:
Fairbanks is forecasting areas to be -25°f.
I guess we are in the warm zone.

Yeah I had to suffer through it being 68 and sunny outside today. Working in the sun makes it sweaty.

But we have had a freeze so those bugs Nate hates are gone. ;-)

Dave, I guess this means the end of the tomato season, right?

BeGreen said:
Dave, I guess this means the end of the tomato season, right?
I had brought in all the green tomatoes before they froze about 4 weeks ago.
I just ate the last of what ripened yesterday, several of the green ones shriveled up & got soft, so they'll be compost.
No big ones, but they tasted like tomatoes.
But yes, tomato season is done.
Even my compost pile is freezing(& it was up to 145°). Lakes are frozen. No heat from the sun for quite a while.
We cast big long shadows at noon.

-25 sort of makes me shiver....

Well wasn't as cold as they said it would be. Only got down to around 0* and it's now about 12*. Supposed to snow 2".

I suppose I should put the snow tires on my car at some point.

Sounds like the firewood in Nome is gonna be getting wet. If not floating.

BrotherBart said:
Sounds like the firewood in Nome is gonna be getting wet. If not floating.

Maybe it'll wash up some more gold on the beach too. :)
Fire wood is pretty scarce in Nome.
They may get some wood with the storm, "Drift wood".
No trees in Nome, (or what we'd call trees anyway) Willow brush about 4 to 6' high, but no trees.

Attachments

• aerial2004.jpg
    aerial2004.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 219
Guess you dont watch the news? The worst storm on record is suppose to happen in Nome. hurricane winds suppose to be 100+mph with 30 foot waves from the ocean. And it was a cool -27 up here last night not too bad.

Fairbanks is to get up to 15°f tomorrow. Maybe some snow. Heat wave :)

If I ever get the urge to live in Alaska I think I will just take up macrame instead.

No not usually.

High winds/seas in Shaktoolik (near Nome) are a normal thing though. 100mph+ is normal.

bsj425 said:
Guess you dont watch the news? The worst storm on record is suppose to happen in Nome. hurricane winds suppose to be 100+mph with 30 foot waves from the ocean. And it was a cool -27 up here last night not too bad.

BrotherBart said:
If I ever get the urge to live in Alaska I think I will just take up macrame instead.

Yeh, it's hard to explain. Some like it, some love it, some hate it, some come & leave after 1 winter.
I love it.
I've lived in PA, WV, OR, FL. Spent some time in MS & TX for a while, military schools. Liked them all for various reasons.
Got to ALaska, Found home.
Getting "outside" sometime during winter to somewhere warm is almost needed.
Maybe I'm one of the weird ones that enjoy the things Alaska offers. Not allot of us, just 700,00, but are the largest state, 48th in population.
But explaining it is hard to do. A different mindset & life style for sure.

Wow, I fired for the first time. Scrounging there takes on a whole new meaning....

Status
Not open for further replies.