Not much ash after burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been burning a bit of wood for about 7 years now (about 1-2 cords a year) to supplement my heating. This year I noticed that after a burn there was some very hard material left in the firebox, under a bit of ash. The pieces are up to 6 inches square and flat; reminds me a little of slate tile. I can break this apart, but not easily. If I leave it in the fire box, it seems to burn, and I don't seem to be collecting as much ash as in previous winters.

What is this stuff, and why am I just now noticing it? My mix of wood hasn't changed much.

When I burn red oak only, I get nothing but ash and nothing to help with relighting.....

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Thanks all. Definitely clinkers. I looked at the thread begreen listed, and some of the links listed from there; the photos were just like what I get. Never had them before, but I'm getting really good burning this winter, so that might be different. Having less ash makes sense too, if I'm getting more complete combustion. They seem to reburn - at least, if I leave them in the fireplace, they disappear and come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.