Not much but it's a start.... I got wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don- KC has always been a gold mine for firewood on CL because very few people burn firewood to heat their home given the availability of natural gas. I also know of an arborist that does not process the trees he cuts down. I could give you his name. The ideal situation is (if you have the space) you could act a dump site for their firewood at worst I think he will contact you where he will be cutting.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Don- KC has always been a gold mine for firewood on CL because very few people burn firewood to heat their home given the availability of natural gas. I also know of an arborist that does not process the trees he cuts down. I could give you his name. The ideal situation is (if you have the space) you could act a dump site for their firewood at worst I think he will contact you where he will be cutting.

That would have been AWESOME before I moved to town! :)

I used to have a lot of land, but now I am on 1/2 an acre.

If you don't think he'd mind, by all means msg please me his contact information!!

Thank you very much!

Don

Don I left the company's name in your conversation box. Good luck to you in acquiring enough firewood. You also might want to consider hydraulics further down the road it seems like KC has plenty of elm.

Don I left the company's name in your conversation box. Good luck to you in acquiring enough firewood. You also might want to consider hydraulics further down the road it seems like KC has plenty of elm.
As in a splitter? ... yea I would LOVE one, but just not in the budget. I am sure I'll be splitting by hand for a few years before I can get one :(

Anyone know what kind of wood this is just from this crummy picture?

Guessing Siberian Elm for the lower left & middle logs.Not too bad,OK for spring/fall burning,dries rapidly & (usually) much easier splitting than American/White Elm.I had 2/3rd pickup load of it that was semi-dead in June 2010,once split/stacked in sunny part of my yard it was ready to burn that December.Some of yours looks a bit greener,still should be ready in a year,maybe a month or so sooner.

Harbor Freight 7-ton splitters are cheap (especially when on sale and with coupon) an can be bought with an extended 2yr warranty. No pollution, little noise, and doesn't take up much space.

Gl!

10091_837894805106_1286923756_n.jpg

As in a splitter? ... yea I would LOVE one, but just not in the budget. I am sure I'll be splitting by hand for a few years before I can get one :(

Reactions: raybonz
Good looking pile of wood!! Just need a saw to buck it all up now ;)

Thats bigger than my first scrounge, once you get some free wood you get addicted and you'll find yourself checking CL 3-4 times a day. Right now's a good time for free wood here too I noticed, lot of people cleaning their yards and cutting down trees and want the wood out of the way, Im more than happy to take it for them.
You might be able to find a good used saw cheap on CL.

I got a few more scores today... one had NEW pallets, LOTS of wood, and an old tire to boot!...for splitting.

This wood was WAY heavier than the stuff from yesterday!!!

I couldnt tell from the CL picts how large these "rounds" were..... yea.... not getting THESE into my truck on my own!!!

Reactions: zap and Thistle
I couldnt tell from the CL picts how large these "rounds" were..... yea.... not getting THESE into my truck on my own!!!

Take an 8 foot 2X8(10) with you for a ramp to roll them up to the truck bed:

Maple / Sycamore?

Ya, Sycamore on the last one. First pic, the small round with no bark could be Mulberry...would be kinda yellow on a fresh split.

Its addictive. And right now CL in KC is having quite a bit, unlike last year. But you could always rent a splitter on a weekend, when you get a pile in a month or so. Good Luck!!

looks like several types there but upper left is a nice piece of red elm
That was my other guess and looking again, I think you're right...the growth rings look more like Red Elm than Mulberry. He'll know for sure by the split color (unless it's already dry and doesn't get split.) ==c

The 036 is a machine!! Have fun cutting, but above all, be safe and wear all needed PPE!

That Series of Stihl is one of the best Firewood saws around (036/360/361/362). The 036 being your first saw, will definitely spoil you ;)

When you finally do get to run a 30-40 cc saw with a safety chain, you will really see why the 036 is a Nice saw! My suggestion would be to try and find someone who has a small 30-50 cc saw and run it for about a tank of fuel. Then see the difference when you get that 036 your talking about. ;lol

Congrats on the score!! Looks like a good start to joint the Hoarders Club :)

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Status
Not open for further replies.