not much heat coming off the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronl41

Dec 22, 2008
west central MN
So over the last couple weeks it has seemed like I haven't been getting the heat out of my stove that I have in the past. I thought maybe one of the squirrel cages was plugged or blocked, so I took the blower off tonight. What I found was that I had a little "friend" over the summer think that it would be a good idea to make his home behind the blower. It was packed tight with insulation (had my kitchen tore down to the studs this summer so I'm guessing that's were the insulation came from) on one half of the stove where it blows air underneath the firebox. Cleaned it all out and put it all back together. WOW! What a difference, I could have just as well not had the blower turned on the last couple weeks. So anyway it's something you all might want to check out. Them darn little mice can get into anything it seams!!!

Put your stove model in your sig line so we know what you are burning.

You need a cat, since we got a new cat, whose a great mouser Ive only caught one mouse in my traps.

I don't really care for cats, and I know my two dogs (golden retriever and yellow lab) don't. I put up mouse traps and sealed off all the holes I could find this summer and I haven't had a problem since.

weatherguy said:
You need a cat, since we got a new cat, whose a great mouser Ive only caught one mouse in my traps.

I have two cats; one is a serial mouser, the other does it for the sport. The serial mouser stalks, chases, abuses, mutilates, chews, swallows and vomits up the mouse which ends up in the worst locations. The other goes in for the quick kill leaving the mouse completely in tact and is usually presented to me at the foot of my office chair in the morning. I prefer that method over the other, but I get the feeling the serial mouser is more effective.

At last count, over the last four years, the serial mouser has a comfortable lead of 21-10.

BrowningBAR said:
weatherguy said:

I have two cats; one is a serial mouser, the other does it for the sport. The serial mouser stalks, chases, abuses, mutilates, chews, swallows and vomits up the mouse which ends up in the worst locations. The other goes in for the quick kill leaving the mouse completely in tact and is usually presented to me at the foot of my office chair in the morning. I prefer that method over the other, but I get the feeling the serial mouser is more effective.

At last count, over the last four years, the serial mouser has a comfortable lead of 21-10.

I love that you keep score !!!!!! I am rooting for the underdog !!!

weatherguy said:
Man is there anything a cat can't do? heats your house for 15 hours on two pine splits , catches mice, next thing your going to tell me is they will get you a beer from the fridge , man I should have got me one of them when i was shopping for a stove last year

shawneyboy said:
BrowningBAR said:
weatherguy said:

I love that you keep score !!!!!! I am rooting for the underdog !!!

Shouldn't that be "undercat"??

BrowningBAR said:
weatherguy said:

Tell me you dont have 31 mice in your house this year alone? the cats go outside right?

BrowningBAR said:

I probably got you tied or beat. Probably get 1-2 per month, although we might have gone for a couple month stretch here or there with none, but usually 1 or 2.

aaronl41 said:
What I found was that I had a little "friend" over the summer think that it would be a good idea to make his home behind the blower. It was packed tight with insulation (had my kitchen tore down to the studs this summer so I'm guessing that's were the insulation came from) on one half of the stove where it blows air underneath the firebox!

Now you just got to train em to take the insulation into the walls and attic! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.