Not ok to leave an enamaled cast iron dutch oven on the stove top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

I have a enameled cast iron dutch oven. Fairly recent purchase.

I had been putting it on my stove top with about .5 gallon of water in it to humidify the room a bit. Even when the stove top hit 450-500 degrees, it never boiled, it simply steamed a little bit.

Anyway, several times it ran out of water. I filled it back up, no big deal, or so I thought? Now, the enamel feels rough all around the bottom and looks like its starting to break up.

I thought enameled iron was perfectly fine at these temps, even with nothing in them. Was I wrong? Or is it a dutch oven enamel issue?

Joe

Unless it's a cooktop stove, I would not place it directly on the stove. Thats why they sell the trivets to place under them. Hope its not too late to save it.

WHERE YOU AT JOE?

"Feels rough" is probably a buildup of salts on the bottom of the oven. These will go away if you pour boiling water in it.

Enameled cast iron goes through a process called crazing where the enamel surface cracks faintly under the glaze. Like so: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/RuWare-V&AFE;.1-1970Det.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, this is probably just something in the formulation of the enamel, which is why stoves don't craze.

does the dutch oven have the built in 'feet (legs)'? Or was the oven surface to surface?

The stove has a cooktop edge that sticks out 7" from the fireplace wall. The dutch oven was placed directly on it, similar to how it is placed directly under a gas stoves flames or an glass stove-top.

Tiber - I'm near Malvern, PA

The enamel has faint crack lines in it that I can feel with a fingernail, so I'm guessing it's delaminating...

ah I have an enameled cast iron pot that's getting the same way--started after I left the pot go dry one time with the stove running. Luckily I don't use it for anything serious (just a steamer off the woodstove) but I know what you mean. Seems very hard to get off and embedded in the enamel somehow.

I like Loggers answer, the trivet would be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.