Not planning to insulate my liner. Mistake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzcranne

Oct 3, 2008
Deep South Jersey
I'm hoping to do a liner install this weekend. I'm planning not to use insulation on the flex liner. It's an interior chimney and there will be plenty of airspace between the liner and the inside of the chimney (6" liner, 13"x17" chimney).

According to what I'm reading on the forum there are two main reasons for insulating a liner: 1, protecting the liner from cold outside air (thereby improving draw and preventing creosote buildup) and 2, placing an extra barrier between the hot liner and combustibles on the exterior of the chimney. In my case I think both issues don't exist. It's an interior chimney in a 1-story house, which I think addresses #1. There will be plenty of airspace between the liner and the chimney, which I think addresses #2.

Am I missing something? Thanks for any input.

You should be ok. Get that big baby tied in and heating!

Status
Not open for further replies.