Not Quite Done For The Year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uper

Feb 5, 2010
Eastern UP, MI
Woke up to snow this morning. Supposed to get more through the day.

Attachments

• 04-08-10 Morning Snow.jpg
    04-08-10 Morning Snow.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 477
LOL but it does look cool.

Ya, I see that around Marquette they had got up to 4" or more by this morning with more expected through the day. When I lived in the UP we never figured winter was over with this soon. There will be more!

My wife told me over lunch that we're up to 4 inches now at home. I almost took the plow off the tractor on Monday, but I'll let this batch melt away anyways. Yesterday I was driving around Gaylord and there are daffodils and forsythia blooming all over the place. We only have crocus blooming, but that's pretty normal to see those with snow. Gaylord was forecast to get around 5-6 inches today! I may have to call an emergency situation here at the office and send myself home early.

Uper,
It started snowing here, about 7:30 this am, and has been on and off all day. Temp hovering right about 32, so it's not sticking for long. We may have gotten the predicted amount, but it melted and soaked into the ground.
That's a real nice picture, but someone should ban those snow pics until November or December. :)
Bad juju.

Uper said:

Finally got a shower today to wash away some pollen :coolsmile:

Attachments

• SSPX0298.jpg
    SSPX0298.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 386
Had some flurries here this morning with a cold north wind blowing. I heard Green Bay got 6".

2 celcius (34F) and pouring a wet cold rain ALL LAST NIGHT and ALL DAY. Damp as can be. Right now a nice warm 72 here in the house. Figuring on intermittent fires for the next couple of weeks anyway......................

Always seemed to me growing up in Marquette and then going to school in Houghton that even May had one good snow in her. And a lot of the UP got something like 50 inches in a single storm in April a few years back. It ain't over 'til it's over up there.

Now out here in DC, it's over. Last three days were 90+, 90+, 85. There have been Aprils where I burned all month, this is not one of them.

ChillyGator said:
Uper said:

Rub it in ChillyGator rub it in. Those colors almost make me go blind. :p

Yep the weather sure is crazy now. But what was hard to believe the was the 75 deg temps last weekend. But I did check out the Mackinaw bridge camera a few times.

http://www.michigansnowcams.com/webcam_map.htm

And this is a good time laps radar for michigan

http://www.michigansnowcams.com/weather.htm

I have to wait for it to dry out some before I go UP next. I was hopeing to go up the week after this. But there is a big farm equ consignment auction the 17th. By me thats always good. Usually have 4 auctioneers going from 9am to 6pm.

Billy

More news and notes from the homestead. This is what is finished up looking like. We aren't really complaining. We need the moisture so badly right now. This will help. I would like it to be dry enough for you Cowboy, but I'm afraid we may have too dry a year. It does have a nice effect on the skeeters and black flies. We're looking at trying one of those thermacell's as those critters will carry us away in our area if we're not careful. It's supposed to be in the 50's this weekend, so this won't be around long!

Attachments

• Homestead 04-09-10.jpg
    Homestead 04-09-10.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 276
Uper said:
More news and notes from the homestead. This is what is finished up looking like. We aren't really complaining. We need the moisture so badly right now. This will help. I would like it to be dry enough for you Cowboy, but I'm afraid we may have too dry a year. It does have a nice effect on the skeeters and black flies. We're looking at trying one of those thermacell's as those critters will carry us away in our area if we're not careful. It's supposed to be in the 50's this weekend, so this won't be around long!

That's bad........very bad.
We were in Gaylord on Wednesday, and I forgot to look for those thermocell things. Next time, unless they try to carry me away, then I'm hittin' the internet for one or two.
Was forecast for 46 today, but it sure only felt like about 20. Windy too.

It will work out as it works out Uper. I am just excited to get more done. But I am surprised with how much I was able to do so far this year. Once I get a good road to the gravel pit I can start getting my wood out. I put in 3/4 mile of 12' wide trails in this year. But I pushed all the trees off to the sides of the trails with the dozer and I need to clean that mess up. Dad has a woodmizer sawmill up there and I need to learn how to use it.

I also have a few big brush piles to burn when the weather is right. But I also need a hay wagon that I can put some big water tanks on and my fire hose pump just to be safe.

IMGS0331.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

I have two more piles about that size that need to go up. If anyone wants to come out for a bonfire and barley pops let me know!

Billy

DiscoInferno said:
Always seemed to me growing up in Marquette and then going to school in Houghton that even May had one good snow in her. And a lot of the UP got something like 50 inches in a single storm in April a few years back. It ain't over 'til it's over up there.

Now out here in DC, it's over. Last three days were 90+, 90+, 85. There have been Aprils where I burned all month, this is not one of them.

Ya, I remember one year I flew to Philadelphia and there were cherry blossoms all over and yards being mowed, etc. But when I landed at Escanaba on the way back, it was definitely back to reality. Such a big difference in not that many miles... But that was also the year the lilacs didn't bloom until around July 1.

DiscoInferno said:
It ain't over 'til it's over up there...
It's over here when I say it's over. Been without a wood fire for a month at least. Just running the NG furnace now.

PapaDave said:
ChillyGator said:
Uper said:

Nice woodshed Chilly. How many years worth does it hold? :lol:

1 or 2 years depending on how many snow days we get :lol:

can hold up to 2 cords when stacked to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.