Not really impressed this time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobD

Jul 13, 2008
NW VT
http
I had a busy weekend and got my hearth pad built (need to add trim wood), my chimney up, and my stove moved into my house. No small task since I have a Hearthstone Mansfield. When they say it's 550lbs...I believe them. Days like that make me almost wish I had friends.

Anyway, I started setting up my stove which included putting on the rear heat shield. When I went to loosen the screws on the back of the stove I soon found out that one of the 1/4-20 screws had been cross threaded.I managed to work it out enough to get the bracket on but the threads are messed up....Joy. I then went to lossen up the screws on the bottom of the stove to add the bottom brackets for the heat shield only to find all but 2 of the screws on the bottom plate were 5-6 turns loose. Starting to wonder at this point. Then I went to add my stove pipe only to find the flue coller flopping around because nuts were loose.....1/4"-1/2" loose. I decided to stop at this point and try again another day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

I've had two other Hearthstone stoves in other houses(Heritage and Mansfield), and I've never had a problem with them. I guess I got a "Monday or a Friday" stove this time. Kind of expected more from a $3000 stove.

On a good note, I think I have good draft on my chimney. 18' of Super Vent straight up and with a 17deg delta in temp from outside to inside I could feel a breeze going up when I put my hand near the open stack.

Maybe tomorrow I can have my first breakin burn...... Naw, my luck is not that good.

Hmmm...seems like they was in a hurry build it. What is the date of manufacture found on the name plate? That may be good to know if other folks have similar issues.

BobD - I have a one year old Mansfield and found a few of the same issues. While the 1/4-20 bolts on the back of my stove were not cross threaded I did notice the screws on the bottom of the stove were several turns out. I sent an email to tech support end they said they do this on purpose - the screws on the very bottom of the stove are for connecting the outside air kit. They leave these screws loose so if you decide to install the kit at a later date you won't have to battle with trying to get them out. The collar on my stove was loose as well, and when I went back to my dealer for another issue I checked the floor model- loose as well. No idea if they do this on purpose.

After you get by this small stuff you are gonna love that stove !

I got my Mansfield in late last winter (March?), and had a lot of loose/missing screws. I tightened them up, and I'm not too worried about the others missing, since it's only one or two. The heatshied was a huge disappointment to me. Mine didn't fit right. I had to abandon the "tabs" that hold it in at the bottom and drive sheet metal screws through the whole thing so that the shield would sit right.

But...no regrets on the stove at all. At the end of the day, it looks great and I'm sure it's gonna put out the heat when things get really cold this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.