Not Silver Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Was thinking this was silver maple when I picked up a truckload of it Saturday morn, but after splitting some I am not so sure. The splitter was having a tough time of it, and it was quite a bit stringer than the last silver I got into.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: milleo
Yep, looks like silver to me too. I've found that it splits hard when it's really green but splits much easier after its sat for a week or two. Don't let it sit too long though bc after a few months it gets hard to split again. My neighbor gave me some that had a nasty twist in it and it is hard either way.

That explains it, this tree came down Saturday morning.

never saw silver maple leaves with red stems like that

They aren't all red, maybe part of color change process?

never saw silver maple leaves with red stems like that

I noticed that and haven't seen it either. Figured it may be part of the color change but maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.