Not sure how dry my wood is getting...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
We've had several days of continuous snow and the firewood stacks are looking kinda white...

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

that used to happen to mine, I would use a leaf blower to get the snow off, now I cover the front and back with a tarp around October

May be better than the thick, uniform layer of ice we are being blessed with this AM:( As long as you don't need to burn from those piles I would not sweat it.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
May be better than the thick, uniform layer of ice we are being blessed with this AM:( As long as you don't need to burn from those piles I would not sweat it.
A good portion of it will be sitting there for another year or more. But my current burn rack is the center-right rack in the first picture, so I just take care to knock all the snow off before bringing it into the house. So far it has been very dry powder snow so no problems.

I have one exposed pile that requires knocking the snow off as well. I will let it sit in a spare room near the stove a bit longer than my covered stash. Seems to take a day or so to dry the surface. I stay plenty far ahead for that to work. This ice may be different!

Shake the snow off and let it sit inside a couple of days before burning and it should be fine. The surface moisture dries off pretty quick.

Reactions: bboulier
Must have had some wind with your snow, it's everywhere in the covered rack. Hoping it looks like that here soon.

Buncha fluff here too.
We got the same weather system, moresnow, two states over.
Got my tarps back out before it turned to freezing rain.

Click and drag over the above blank spot. lol
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Must have had some wind with your snow, it's everywhere in the covered rack. Hoping it looks like that here soon.
Our mountaintop is known for the wind! Other places like where my son lives in Nagano get much more snow, but we get the wind! Currently he's got over 2 meters in his yard!

Wow indeed.
Most of us "regular" (lol) people only know of the stereotypical Japan without ever studying
the reality of how things work there. Peeps think of hot weather 24/7, palm trees, short people,
and of course, dinosaurs trashing Tokyo on weekends.

Enjoy life, and thanks for looking out for those two old neighbors bent on burning their house down.

Wow indeed.
Most of us "regular" (lol) people only know of the stereotypical Japan without ever studying
the reality of how things work there. Peeps think of hot weather 24/7, palm trees, short people,
and of course, dinosaurs trashing Tokyo on weekends.

Enjoy life, and thanks for looking out for those two old neighbors bent on burning their house down.
My son lives in NAGANO! Remember the 1998 Winter Olympics? They were short on snow when it started and then a few days into it the white stuff started falling in such huge quantities that they had to delay some of the events... :)

It seems to me your wood is freeze-drying... ;)

Actually I don't. Got sober in 2007.
Bits n' pieces from mid 80's till then, but have been told I had a great time,
and a few random photos showing such.

Reactions: revdocjim