Not sure I believe the EPA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
So I was looking at the EPA list of approved stoves for Sept 2011: http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

The Jotul F602CB is listed as 3.4 g/hr of particulate which I believe, but the btus are rated 11,998 to 47,713! No WAY did that make almost 48k btu! If it does, I'm impressed. Jotul only rates it for 28,000 btu and from what I understood normally the EPA tests fall well under what the manufacturer's rating is.

If the 602 can indeed put out 48k btu, it would be great even for my house!

Could be a typo. FWIW, we heated the place with the older 602. It could cover us down to about 30F outside. But the colder it got the more you became like a locomotive fireman, stoking the stove constantly.

BeGreen said:
Could be a typo. FWIW, we heated the place with the older 602. It could cover us down to about 30F outside. But the colder it got the more you became like a locomotive fireman, stoking the stove constantly.

How big is your house?

joefrompa said:
I believe the EPA ranks it within it's normal cycle and puts out a max rating. So at max under their conditions, 48k btus. They don't say how long it can pump out that volume.

FYI, My lopi says it can do 73k BTUs/hour: http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=303#Specs

It does not :)

Yeah, I don't think it's a normal cycle/max rating because that would mean the Englander 30 averages 11,950 btus and has a max of 28,337. Highly unlikely.

Also, the 17-VL has TWO listings. One is 11,875 - 19,238 and the other is 12,791 - 43,520! That's quite a discrepancy!

those numbers usually have little to do with "real world" applications. The EPA testing methods are strange to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.