Not sure what happened.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i had recently loaded stove shortly after lighting stove. I put in some bigger pieces of hardwood, probably a bit too soon, as I did not have much of a coal bed going yet. Due to this, I adjusted the latch of door so that door was just barely ajar to help give fire a bit more air for about 10 seconds or so. I heard two different low pitch thuds that reminded me of the sound when a pocket of pitch ignites when using pine, same volume and all. I didn't see anything in the firebox that was associated with the sound I heard. Trying to see if I could see anything pointing to a chimney fire starting, I looked at chimney top to see if I could see any sparks. It was dark out and saw nothing but darkness. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary in the fire box. For reference, I have Jotul rockland in about a17ft chimney with stainless liner. There is only one 4 to 5 foot section of liner that I cannot see interior of. From what I have seen, I have always had very fluffy soot no more that 1/8 inch ever. Last 2 yrs the chim sweeep compliments as "knowing what I am doing" based on limited buildup. Any guess on sound I heard?

Maybe the liner expanding or shifting a bit as it heated up? Grasping at straws here...

Door getting pulled shut by the draft, or metal expanding / contracting with the contrast in heat and cold room air. Burn on.

It was a couple blasts from deer hunter's shotgun. You need to get a block-off plate in there. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.