Not sure what is needed (one t or two)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kscowboy

Dec 30, 2009
kansas
I had a hearth dealer come to my house and is going to give an estimate on liner install. They showed me ther plan which inclued 2 T's in the chimney. Will be installing an add on furnace into chimney in the basment not sure why would need2 T's or how to clean them as there are no doors on chimney thanks for the help

Attachments

• chimneyts.jpg
    chimneyts.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 114
Yes, that is a puzzler as to why the need for 2 tees. Typically a tee is installed for cleaning purposes.

Are they intending to service two wood heating appliances with this one flue? If so, that is for certain not permitted.

Backwoods Savage said:
Typically a tee is installed for cleaning purposes.

May sound dumb, but I did not know that.

Just plan on one furnace nothing else. Still not sure how you would clean it out with the T inclosed?

OK, I see a picture added, that helps. Now we can at least speculate. It looks like there is an existing cleanout door at the bottom of the chimney correct? If so it looks like the upper tee #1 is for connecting the stove and the lower tee #2 is capped on the bottom with another cap on the clean out door side. I'm guessing that the intent is to allow the flue to be cleaned with removal of the lower tee's cap through the cleanout door?

The opening on the bottom has no door just an opening and not very big only about the size of a brick maybe just a little bigger. I am sure the first tee would be for the furnace. Would it be better to put a small hole to remove the bottom of the first Tee?

Status
Not open for further replies.