Not sure what this is.. wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaFC

Mar 22, 2011
Northern, NJ
So second type of wood that I really don't know what it is. It smelled a bit minty, but I don't think it's birch. What do you think it is?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363054448884.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363054448884.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363054467890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363054467890.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363054481467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363054481467.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 149
That's not a giant Sassafras, is it??

Halls mentho-lyptus cough drop smell?

That would be a really big Sassafras, but they do sometimes get that large. It looks like Sassafras and the smell could be Sassafras.

Definitely not cottonwood. I agree it looks a lot like sassafras, but I've only worked with it as lumber, not in tree form.

Tulip Poplar, just a wild guess but I bet it splits with ease and dries to a feather weight. I would take a load to play with.

Taste it - try to find a small trig and chew on it. You will know if it is sass or not. Sass will taste like it smells and is good.

Reactions: Shane N
Sassafras. For sure. A big one too. Not the best wood, but far from the worst. It is good shoulder season wood.

Should smell more "root-beery" than "minty".

I agree on the sassafras. I love to cut it just for the smell. Will burn okay too with a not too long drying time. Good for spring and fall burning.

Medium output, like 18 Mbtu/cord. It pops like all get-out; Have a fire extinguisher handy when you open the door. ;lol It's supposed to be rot-resistant so I'm using some smaller dead ones as sleepers to stack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.