1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Not sure what to do with these parts?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Ziprich, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Ziprich

Ziprich Member

Loc:
    Western Md (Hagerstown)
    Hello everybody, my brother is fixing up and old Franklin wood stove and we cant figure out what these parts are supposed to do. Any info on them would be great. Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Well......... I hate to say it but I sure hope your brother is not planning on burning that in a house. It would be best to have him check with his insurance company and/or local codes to see if either of them would even allow this to be installed.

I'm not knocking the stove or being a prude or anything but that is considered an old 'smoke dragon' - lots of these stove are either in the dump or, if even being used, are now regulated as an outdoor fireplace. It is not a 'safe' stove by any means.
  3. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Just because a stove is an old "smoke dragon" does not necessarily mean it is not safe. That is just a ridiculous comment.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    OK. Because it is an old Franklin is isn't safe. That comes from a guy that burned in one for six years. The things are scary air leaking over heating beasts.
  5. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    BB- now THAT response I can agree with......sorry, have a soft spot for the oldies...
  6. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    ...and that's what I meant. Sorry if my choice of words was not clear.
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Those parts look like an internal damper setup...but I concur. I would not burn it. I'd use it for decor.